Whats the difference between a programer and timer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would appear that this is a direct replacement for your switchmaster 400 if you don`t want to get into re-wiring

http://www.hav.co.uk/products/shw-detai ... id=12760&=

A time switch will usually just switch on hot water only or both heating & hot water together at the same preset times, where as a programmer will allow independent settings for both heating & hot water.

devonwoody":zbe9l5q3 said:
Thanks DougB, that looks like the replica of my old switchmaster.

In that case it will (fingers crossed) fit straight onto the old wiring back plate, so should only be a matter of removing the old clock & fitting the new with out changing any wiring.

Just check the instructions.

Doug B":3s05g7ht said:
devonwoody":3s05g7ht said:

In that case it will (fingers crossed) fit straight onto the old wiring back plate, so should only be a matter of removing the old clock & fitting the new with out changing any wiring.

The reviews suggest that either of them will fit nicely as a straight swap, but the timer one doesn't control heating and hot water separately as much as the programmer one does.

Doug B":gvu8t7vw said:
devonwoody":gvu8t7vw said:

The plumbing outfit telephoned me Saturday and requested £225 to supply and fit a new programmer, I wasnt very polite in my reply.

Especially as your suggestion is only around £40 plus.

I asked the outfit to service my boiler last December and fit a new motorised 3 way valve, the valve failed end of May when I switched the programmer to water only. So they have somehow managed to get their business up to nearly £500. I am procrastinating very loudly, hence that citizens advice letter quote I posted the other day.

The valve is faulty and the old programmer could not take the repeated attention of trying to put all things right.

I told them that if I had a second life I would consider being a plumber.

A timer is a useful piece of equipment, where as a programmer tends to be a boring individual who sits in front of a computer all day?

Back