What's the biggest mistake you have made in your woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first set of sash windows I ever fitted were 100mm too small across the width. But luckily I was just there helping the chap who made them and it wasn't my fault! :LOL:
Thought I'd mention it though - it could have been the classic tape measure mistake, or just not drawing up a proper rod.
We managed to fit them OK but the front linings showed 2" more than they should have. The client didn't notice. If it had been 100mm in the height it would have been a disaster.
Actually the biggest mistake I've made, several times in early days, is underpricing to get the job. Never actually ran out of work and annoying to have to postpone profitable jobs in favour of under-priced ones.
Moral of this tale: always over price, it shortens the waiting list and you can afford to do a better job at a more leisurely pace.

Last edited:
I had a clever idea about starting my own business and being a professional drum maker, I love it but it’s a bloody nightmare

Buying the small axi table saw as my first "big" machine, 1 month into my journey as a hobby woodworker!

Moving from one school with a brilliant wood teacher to a cr@p school and no woodworking at all....grrrrr....
after a few mistakes with a rule now use a story stick where ever poss.....

Asking the missus if she wanted a summerhouse in the unused corner of the garden. Thinking a 3mx3m ‘shed’ type structure.
Yes, says she, and started describing something akin to a pavilion. Ended up as this. 7mx4m plus decking for a BBQ! I’ve learned not to offer in future.

View attachment 131899
I see your mistake right now. You called it a summerhouse not a summer shed!.,!

Not the end of the world but I once cut the tails out of the end of a board instead of the waste between the tails 😂 did three dovetails like that before realising.
Three!

Once is enough I tend to give up for the evening if such happens!

Making a staircase for a customer before the finished floor was in.

It was a barn conversion and the floors had been dug out, needed hardcore, concrete, insulation etc, they said a line on the wall indicated where the floor level would finish. Came to fit staircase a few weeks later and it was about 3" too high, they were adamant that the floor finished where they said it would, I wasn't so sure :dunno:

Back