what's the best table saw sled

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sliding carriage.

Whilst it’s plenty possible to make a safe table saw sled, almost every one I’ve seen had removed important safety features from the saw and not compensated for them, so best not to use them

A

Thanks for the positive answer.

I settled on a very basic but extremely accurate (.05mm along 750mm) sled. I looked at some of the fancier ones but for my needs they are over-complicated. The only upgrade or more like new build addition will be some hold downs and track.

That will be an essential when I get my workshop finished and buy a new saw. I have been using the sled without any issues. I added a large rear blade cover sprayed bright orange to remind of the business end :D

TheTiddles":6kvnxeje said:
A sliding carriage.

Whilst it’s plenty possible to make a safe table saw sled, almost every one I’ve seen had removed important safety features from the saw and not compensated for them, so best not to use them

A
Spot on Aidan - Rob

Guarding is the hardest part of designing a good sled, I think I have one with a tunnel guard and a rear exit guard, too. It doesn't run any more as the rails are misshapen after spending two years in a barn, but it was good when it was new. The tunnel guard just slots into place. It's fine when my workpiece is flat, but if I want to cut my workpiece upright, I can't guard it. Guarding must be designed into the sled from the very first pencil stroke, it's no good building a sled and then thinking, "Hmm, now how am I going to guard this?"

There is another very active thread here at the mo, about what happens when machine guards are removed and the operator experiences something they weren't expecting. Don't become another thread! :)

Latest posts

Back