what's the best selection of bandsaw blades as a starter kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddsocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to upgrade from my Electra Beckum BAS316 to the Record BS350S (taking advantage of a show offer next week) as I find myself wanting to resaw timber between the 155mm max of the EB and the 230mm of the Record. Almost all of my EB blades have been 4 or 6TPI but was wondering what other users prefer , and which ones are owned but never used?

My main use of the bandsaw will be for quick sizing of timber, some veneers (so accurate slicing to 2-3mm in 100-150mm wide boards), cutting logs, re sawing etc. I'd also like to try some of the tenon and other joint cutting techniques that i've read in articles.

Looking on the forum and ebay at Dragon saws I intend to place an order later this week so that I have the 'best' blades by the time I get the bandsaw (bit like Christmas pressies and batteries - need mor than one to try all the functions!).

My starting point for the 5 blades (2630mm - 103.5inch) are:

2 x 3/4" x3TPI for deep ripping and general use
1 x 1/2" x 6TPI for larger bowl blanks, tenons etc
1 x 1/2" x 14TPI for cutting brass, sheet metal, perspex etc
1 x 3/8" x 6TPI for the smaller bowl blank cutting

Does this seem a reasonable mix? I would not go below 3/8" as I still have the 1/4" from the EB and have never used it.
I'm open to suggestions on the mix, TPI and tooth pattern (I'm assuming the above are all skip tooth except the 14tpi) but please let me know why you recommend a particular type and what you use it for.

Thanks

Dave

PS when i find my camera I'll take some pics of the EB BAS316 and offer it for sale here before posting on ebay - £175 with stand and 4 new blades. PM me if interested, I live in Haverhill on the Cambridge /suffolk border

oddsocks":2mt3eo68 said:
I would not go below 3/8" as I still have the 1/4" from the EB and have never used it.

Surely they take different length blades Dave? 88" for th 316 vs. 103 1/2" for the Record.
If I'm wrong and your new machine is stronger than the EB and still takes 88" blades I have a 5/8" x 3skip Dragon blade you can have gratis - my EB315 just wasn't man enough to tension it.

Dave

The selection that you've made is pretty decent and will cope with the cutting that you've mentioned. The main factors when choosing the right tooth pitch is the material being cut, thickness of the material being cut and importance of finish.
Just make sure that the sheet metal being cut isn't too thin for a 14tpi blade. 14tpi is a great blade for cutting most materials but you will strip the teeth if the material is too thin, feed rate too fast - oh and make sure that the machine is on it's slowest speed!
If you are cutting veneers then you might want to consider a 5/8" x 4tpi thin kerf blade. Made from .020 material instead of the usual .032 material that 5/8" blades are made from it's ideal for cutting with minimum waste and because it's made from thinner material then it tensions really well to improve the accuracy of the cut.
6tpi is a great general purpose tooth pitch that will cope with most materials and leaves a decent finish.

But I think you've picked a decent selection and shouldn't have any problems cutting what you've mentioned.

Ian

MarkW":3ek12ige said:
oddsocks":3ek12ige said:
I would not go below 3/8" as I still have the 1/4" from the EB and have never used it.

Surely they take different length blades Dave? 88" for th 316 vs. 103 1/2" for the Record.
If I'm wrong and your new machine is stronger than the EB and still takes 88" blades I have a 5/8" x 3skip Dragon blade you can have gratis - my EB315 just wasn't man enough to tension it.

Thanks for the offer Mark - yes you're right and I see now how you read it....I have never used the 1/4" in the EB because I have never needed to, so doubt if I would ever use a 1/4" on the record (not the same physical blade, that one will be sold with the EB and will not fit the record).

Ian - thanks for the input, I'll be giving you a call in the next few days :)

Back