Whats the best item you have made ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

My favourite is this spinning wheel - it's a copy of one in a National Trust property near me. I was allowed to photograph and measure the original and from this made working drawings and eventually this. (still not quite finished - but one day).

My Fyvie Wheel 005.jpg

Regards Mick

Attachments

• My Fyvie Wheel 005.jpg
    My Fyvie Wheel 005.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 777
My first ever 002.jpg
My first ever 001.jpg
Well as I said in an earlier post I would try and post som pictures of what are my favorite turnings .
These are not pieces for entry in competion but they are my first attempts at turning and I will treasure them for ever .
I call them (CandGobs) because they were ment to be candles sticks and turned out to be more of a goblet .I think :?:
Looking at them now I think the finish is better than I can achieve now :oops: :oops:

Attachments

• My first ever 001.jpg
    My first ever 001.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 732
  • My first ever 002.jpg
    My first ever 002.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 732
boysie39":3p7cuz4p said:
Well as I said in an earlier post I would try and post som pictures of what are my favorite turnings .
These are not pieces for entry in competion but they are my first attempts at turning and I will treasure them for ever .
I call them (CandGobs) because they were ment to be candles sticks and turned out to be more of a goblet .I think :?:
Looking at them now I think the finish is better than I can achieve now :oops: :oops:

I seem to remember some of my first turning looking vaguely similar but only vaguely. They took ages but I don't think the finish was anywhere close to yours. I think I still have them somewhere but modesty forbids that I drag them out for the forum's entertainment. My wife's laughter is quite sufficient thank you very much.

The most used item I've made is probably this Hebridean style spinning wheel. Made on a Gamages version of the old Coronet Minor, with a home made rest to go with the swivel head to turn the wheel. Never got properly finished, as SWMBO started using it while it was still a bit rough in places. But it's done intermittent service for about 20 years. The pic shows it in use in today's totally unseasonable sunshine, spinning alpaca fleece from the farm across the burn from us.
DSCF2580.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF2580.JPG
    DSCF2580.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 703
This is probably one of my favourite pieces, it's a sycamore burl and 14" in diameter, regards Matt.

Attachments

• bowl 2.jpg
    bowl 2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 684
Hi Dick M

That wheel looks familiar - my first one below :)

Shetland Wheel 3.jpg

One of David Bryant's designs.

I see you are also in the Aberdeen area - great weather eh!

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Shetland Wheel 3.jpg
    Shetland Wheel 3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 661
Looks remarkably similar! Mine was "based on" a design in Practical Woodworking, but can't remember whose.

Can't get used to the sunshine - had to go into the shade at lunchtime, it was too darned hot!

But it was also distinctly nippy by the Ythan at 7:30 am.

Spindle":372juz43 said:
Hi Dick M

That wheel looks familiar - my first one below :)

One of David Bryant's designs.

I see you are also in the Aberdeen area - great weather eh!

Regards Mick
That looks a superb bit of turning ,really lovely project and a lot of satisfaction I should imagine when compleated .
Would the David Bryant be any relation to the pipe smoking bowler of some years back :?: :?:

Hi

Don't know about David's history but yes, completing a spinning wheel is a great feeling, people should give it a try - taken in stages it's not as hard as it looks.

You bowl turners really need to expand your horizons :lol:

Regards Mick

I've been thinking about this for a while, I've made so many things that there are several that stick in my mind for various reasons.

The first is a very simple bit of turning but as a cricketer I was very proud to have made these:

PB080012.JPG

These were presented to the England womens cricket team on winning the Ashes tournament in 2008, made in cherry with a cast pewter cricket ball. I only did the base, so as I say, not that exciting but pleasing to me.

Until recently my best job was a set of 22 stair spindles with a hand cut barley twist:

DSCF0340.JPG

Long time members will remember my original thread about these, it's here if you are interested: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/stair-spindles-with-a-twist-t44476.html

These were my best until this week when I completed three feature newel posts in Walnut which had hand carved bases and the main one had a hand carved top too:

DSCF3002.JPG

DSCF3001.JPG

These will appear in my article in a month or so's time (I'm just writing it now) so you have a sneak preview, shhh, don't tell anyone!!! :wink:

Cheers

Richard

Hard to be pick the best from these -

Elm textured with a with wire brush while stationary
39cm x 6cm
Finished with Danish oil

19cm diameter, 10cm high
The centre hole is 3cm diameter
Finish is 3 coats of Chestnut finishing oil, buffed

19cm x 15cm, wood unknown
The photo doesn't really do it justice

If I was to pick one I think it would be the elm

The three things I'm most proud of are these. They were all made as presentation pieces for a particular person.

This is from Sapele, Box, Spalted Holly, African Blackwood, Apple, and bamboo.
morterboardWtbackgroundlightened.jpg

This is from Box, African Blackwood, and Sapele.
MicroscopeInBoxAfricanblackwoodSapele.jpg

Scope2.jpg

And this is from Japanese Oak, and Sycamore, plus some bits of cut wire coat hanger.
TrainTunnel.jpg

John. B

No, although I did insert small pieces of glass in the top and bottom. They were just to give it a bit of realism. :roll:

But the slides and mirror all move, and after this pic was taken I added two brass slide holders.

I call this piece 'A life-sized non working representation of "The Acme" no 17 c.1879 Microscope made by Sidle & Poalk of Philadelphia.

(Which was an actual microscope)

John. B

Richard Findley":19lqlsb5 said:
I've been thinking about this for a while, I've made so many things that there are several that stick in my mind for various reasons.

The first is a very simple bit of turning but as a cricketer I was very proud to have made these:

PB080012.JPG

These were presented to the England womens cricket team on winning the Ashes tournament in 2008, made in cherry with a cast pewter cricket ball. I only did the base, so as I say, not that exciting but pleasing to me.

Until recently my best job was a set of 22 stair spindles with a hand cut barley twist:

DSCF0340.JPG

Long time members will remember my original thread about these, it's here if you are interested: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/stair-spindles-with-a-twist-t44476.html

These were my best until this week when I completed three feature newel posts in Walnut which had hand carved bases and the main one had a hand carved top too:

DSCF3002.JPG

DSCF3001.JPG

These will appear in my article in a month or so's time (I'm just writing it now) so you have a sneak preview, shhh, don't tell anyone!!! :wink:

Cheers

Richard
Richard , those Walnut newels are beautyiful really class,as indeed is all your work,but walnut is a real favorite with me .

John. B":1lc774wv said:
No, although I did insert small pieces of glass in the top and bottom. They were just to give it a bit of realism. :roll:

But the slides and mirror all move, and after this pic was taken I added two brass slide holders.

I call this piece 'A life-sized non working representation of "The Acme" no 17 c.1879 Microscope made by Sidle & Poalk of Philadelphia.

John. B
John ,I had seen the top piece before if I'm not mistaken it was for a family member who had graduated ,Ilove it.
The microscope I think is a class piece too . You certainly come up with unusual pieces and I love seeing them .Thanks

John. B":15z1npjk said:

John. B

It really looks like it should work, it so realistic.

Thank you Eugene for those kind words.

As an afterthought, #-o We are on holiday in Ireland at the end of August. Maybe we could fit in a visit.

We are landing at Rosslare and going to Clare via Cappoquin, for a week then back to Ducannon in County Wexford for another week.

(About an hour and a half or so South of Carlow,)

John. B

Back