What's n0legs bin doing? Oh God! he's in the turning section

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, bonjour, hallo, saluton :D
Wow! been a while and I'll be eternally sorry for that :oops: :lol:

Well guys and gals when I have had chance (that's been few and far between lately :roll: ) I have made some progress. Well to be completely honest it's done 8) and chuffed ain't the word. I'm over the bloody moon with it :D :D

Let's get on.

So the turning went extremely well, granted that's my opinion, but I know you guys will say if it's not so :lol:
I did lose a few pics, I'm sorry :evil:

We'll pick up with the photos here.
Major turning done and now onto sanding the inside. Rim thickness is approx 10mm, but it does get a little thicker as it makes it's way down.

WrHFCmLl.jpg

s7FCvd4l.jpg

I didn't go for a crazy super smooth finish on the inside, smooth enough will do. It is a bin at the end of the day :|

Now this one I'm pretty sure is it just sanded. I've been using Abranet mostly and this, if I'm right is at a 600g finish.

2ukQBCul.jpg

I used 3 coats of 2K clear lacquer. Brush applied, with a knocking back between coats with 800g, coats 1 to 2. 1000g between coats 2 to 3. Final flatting was done 1200g, 1500g and then burnished with Farecla G3. Obviously done on the lathe :D

nQUR3fgl.jpg

duGjqCMl.jpg

The money shots :lol:

SeqYFoLl.jpg

pikL107l.jpg

It's been awesome fun, I will be doing more. Got the bug now and by 'eck it's bitten deep :lol:
The good woman loves it, I think nearly everyone she knows, knows about her bedroom bin :roll: :lol: and she's thinking up more for me to make. I don't mind it's all good fun and a worthwhile skill to learn.
What I've learned...
Well, get it round as quick and efficiently as possible, but don't take silly risks. Keep those tools as sharp as a sharp thing, my god I've had some practice at sharpening, but hey all good. Tool rest position for inside work needs care. Don't underestimate how hot sandpaper can get :lol:

Thanks to all who've tuned in for this little project and thanks for all the comments past and to come.

As always much love.
n0legs out.

Well done that looks an excellent outcome, certainly keep producing similar and you will be surprised how many time saving short cuts you will develop and easier less onerous ways to get there.
Along the way you will also adjust your turning methods to reduce the risk factors involved.
Talking about the insides of deep constructions, try finishing the inside as much as possible as you go, that way internal tool support and final sanding needs will be reduced.

I did wonder where you'd 'bin ;)

That's excellent n0legs, makes me want to finish rewiring the viceroy and have a go.

From this project, what do you think is a good set of starter turning weapons?

Rather than go out and buy a set of turning tools that end up mostly unused and on ebay, I may look out for a few good used ones.

Cheers
Andy

=D> Nice one fella. All limbs still attached and a shiny new bin. That's got to be a good result. :D

CHJ":vhp52rm6 said:
Well done that looks an excellent outcome, certainly keep producing similar and you will be surprised how many time saving short cuts you will develop and easier less onerous ways to get there.
Along the way you will also adjust your turning methods to reduce the risk factors involved.
Talking about the insides of deep constructions, try finishing the inside as much as possible as you go, that way internal tool support and final sanding needs will be reduced.

Thanks Chas.
Points noted and will be implemented next time round =D>
I tried to do the inside as you have said, but you know what it's like,,,,,,
"I'll just try and blend that bit in a bit better,,, b*****!!!" :lol: The skill will come in time I expect, the skill being to leave well alone when it's looking good :lol:

A quick question if I may.
Longer "offset" rest or one of those "S" shaped for inside work?

Farmer Giles":2v4x3ebs said:
I did wonder where you'd 'bin ;)

That's excellent n0legs, makes me want to finish rewiring the viceroy and have a go.

From this project, what do you think is a good set of starter turning weapons?

Rather than go out and buy a set of turning tools that end up mostly unused and on ebay, I may look out for a few good used ones.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy, thanks mate. I'm really really pleased with it.

As for a starter set, definitely don't buy the cheap Clarke set or any that look like it. The guy I got the lathe from "threw" them in for me to get started. I was appreciative but I wish he hadn't. They are rubbish, end of.
What I have done is gone with some of the advice from the guys here and bought good, good condition used stuff. I bought a really nice heavy roughing gouge, that's an Iles. A really decent Sandvik (I'm pretty sure) skew and recently a really nice Stormont , inch wide, that will be ground as a scraper. I made a carbide tipped tool (round replaceable style) a while back that has become my kind of "goto", I find it very forgiving.
The freebie set is slowly getting shorter and will soon end in the bin :lol:

Bm101":1smq97gg said:
=D> Nice one fella. All limbs still attached and a shiny new bin. That's got to be a good result. :D

Thanks Chris (hammer) :D
Aye my friend still got ten fingers and toes, shame about the eye but there was no saving that :lol: It's all done by feel anyway :lol:
Yeah, really good result. The good woman is happy, I'm happy. Funny how that happens ain't it :lol:
Just gotta' find something else to do now :wink:
Cheers mate.

AJB Temple":1tk92545 said:
Excellent work. Would scare me on a lathe I must admit!

Thanks Adrian :D
I'll be honest not a lot scares me, but switching it on for the first time made me wish I had a remote control :lol:
You check it's secure once, then twice, switch on run up to speed, stop it, check it, switch it back on and then get on with it. This behaviour continued right up to the last session of polishing. It was/is really daunting having this lump spinning away less that 3 foot from your face, it'll take some time to get really comfortable with it but I'll be doing some more for sure. I hope :D
Cheers mate, thanks for comments :D

Dalboy":qu66d4ia said:
Turned out well and brownie point too I should imagine be careful turning can become very addictive.

Thanks Derek :D
Yes mate brownie pointed right up, at the moment at least :lol:
I'm already sold on this style of turning. Using up all the little offcuts like this really ticks a box with me. It was a lot of fun, a little nerve racking at times, but very very enjoyable.
Cheers mate, thanks for the tips and comments.

n0legs":gbd1uw23 said:
A quick question if I may.
Longer "offset" rest or one of those "S" shaped for inside work?

The bulk of my internal work, I don't do very deep, is done with the one on the top left of this image and if bigger and wanting more reach and rigidity a large cast 250mm? rest that's standard for the lathe. Occasionally the top centre one which was origianaly made to use with the carbide tipped tool.
rests.jpg

Those and a very stiff (15mm sq.) shanked carbide tipped tool give me extra reach with very little catch risk.

See here in use

Attachments

• rests.jpg
    rests.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 589
n0legs":2xg93woa said:
AJB Temple":2xg93woa said:
Excellent work. Would scare me on a lathe I must admit!

Thanks Adrian :D
I'll be honest not a lot scares me, but switching it on for the first time made me wish I had a remote control :lol:
You check it's secure once, then twice, switch on run up to speed, stop it, check it, switch it back on and then get on with it. This behaviour continued right up to the last session of polishing. It was/is really daunting having this lump spinning away less that 3 foot from your face, it'll take some time to get really comfortable with it but I'll be doing some more for sure. I hope :D
Cheers mate, thanks for comments :D

I presume you do know not to stand in line with the work in case it gets loose, as with a saw bench?

Nice piece of work, that!

Keith

Interesting read and an enjoyable style. Well done. Just one thing puzzles me though, you started one of your posts with

Hello, bonjour, hallo, saluton , but you're in Cwmbran !!! What happened to bore da, or shw mae?

K

graduate_owner":3c570uwi said:
Interesting read and an enjoyable style. Well done. Just one thing puzzles me though, you started one of your posts with

Hello, bonjour, hallo, saluton , but you're in Cwmbran !!! What happened to bore da, or shw mae?

K

Well K I was trying to up my game a bit, you know give it a more international flavour :lol:

Diolch fy ffrind :D

Well K I was trying to up my game a bit, you know give it a more international flavour :lol:

Repeat after me.... KAL-EE-MARE-AH FILL-AY-MOO

(good morning my friend, in Greek)

Back