What's n0legs bin doing? Oh God! he's in the turning section

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0legs

Established Member
Reaction score
Well hello there lads and lasses :D
Yup, the daft taff has come to infect the turning gang :lol:

I've done a few little WIPs on vices and clamps etc, so now I thought I'd do a quick one on a wood work project :roll:

So what are we doing??? Well there's a little clue up the top there :wink:

The good woman finally had her way and I've been hard to the grindstone decorating the bedroom :cry: :cry:
A few weeks ago I completed some walnut cabinets, one for her side and one for mine. Paint has been splashed around, walls, ceiling and woodwork. New lights and switches.
The carpet was done the other day, the upholsterer has been given the go ahead for the headboard.

So as you may have guessed ole' n0legs is thinking I must be up to the gills in brownie points :D

Ah!! No! :?
What have I forgotten? There's me thinking all the boxes have a great big tick in them, but no. Silly silly me I've gone and forgotten a bin. Of course you have you stupid boy :lol:

Okay enough nonsense for a minute. Ladies and gents I'm pleased to say we'll be trying a proper segmented turning job :shock:
Straight out of the box I'll be honest I have done a little turning but no bowls, no vases, no vessels. I'm strictly a spindle man me, that's the way I was made and I'm proud of it :lol:

So we start, ("'bout time soft lad")

Most of the off cuts were/are <2" wide, so after a coffee and ciggie a plan is formed and off we go. Ripped them all down to 35mm wide.

pc68viOl.jpg

An angle is chosen, 15 degrees, and many segments are cut.

3pPyfKol.jpg

DYGgFMCl.jpg

Working out the size/length of each set of segments for each ring of segments was a bit of a game, but hey ho I think I've got there.
Now not having anything really wide enough to make a solid ring for the base, except for going with a ring in a ring in a ring combination, coupled with the fact I don't have a lot to play with, I'll rebate the first ring and let in a piece of ply. It is after all only going to be a bin, I hope :? :lol:

So for now I'll leave you with this final pic of the first four glued and clamped. I reckon I'll need twelve rings to complete it, well to get something worthwhile it does need a little height. I just hope I've got enough or I'll be really unpopular, she's told her friends she's having a wooden bin :lol: :lol:

ARTVLnhl.jpg

Much love, n0legs out :D

Dalboy":1amulqh1 said:
I will just sit here and watch and maybe have a couple of laughs along the way :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers Derek, jump in with some suggestions if you see me getting lost :D
The laughs,,, I expect we'll have a few :lol:

Hah! just posted one of my own trying to get you out of hibernation, and whats happens? you go steal my thunder!
Well, actually, not so much thunder as a loud raspberry, but hey, some of us dont got lathes boyo.

Well hello there :D
This is a DUD with a capital D!!!

No I don't mean it's a failure it's a Double Up Date :roll: That's a bit lame :lol:
Okay apologies for the late replies, was gonna' update yesterday but The Steinbeck factor kicked in :cry:

I'm pleased to report things a have moved in the right direction :D

This is new ground for me, so experienced turners look away now. Rather than stick it all together and turn it all in one go I've decided on the softly softly approach. The plan, well mine at least, is to turn a little add a little turn a little add a little, good plan or what :?: :?:

I've worked out this will be around 11"-12" long/tall and the sensible part of me (yes there is one) has thought jumping in boots first might not be in the best interests for my health. ("Coward/Chicken/Wimp" :lol: ). Plus,,,,,,, I don't have enough to do this again and I hate failure :x

So off we go :roll:
Friday.
If you watch some of the YouTube turners they have some of those lovely wide belt sanding machines and with these machines they face glued up rings. I have no such lovely machine, beggar.
So the option I took was to mount each ring and turn the faces nice and flat. No Picture, forgot :oops:
As I said earlier not enough material means I'm adding a plywood base. The first ring was turned so a rebate was formed and a piece of ply was cut out, turned round to the right diameter and glued in. No picture, forgot :oops:
In my defence I was in a bit of a rush so I hope you'll forgive the lack of pics.

To end Fridays activities I glued up four rings. My lathe isn't the greatest so I'm going the Frank Howarth route and clamping the rings together off the lathe, others mount their pieces to the lathe and bring up the tailstock to apply pressure.

Later Friday night, I disappeared down the shed (the good woman, fairplay she's a good'un, doesn't mind this sort of behaviour 8) and I got the "lump" mounted on the lathe and ready for a turn :|

u42sHjgm.jpg

Saturday.
After getting some other duties dealt with to the shed we trot and into our project we get.
The first switch on was a little scary I'll be honest :lol: , so I dropped the speed (didn't help the balance much) and set to with the roughing stage. Stopped a few times to just tickle the gouge edge against the grinder, sharp tools are a must ( listen to him, like he's some kind of expert :roll: :lol: ) then I switched to a scraper.
Hollowing out was the next step. Before I started this operation I took the wise decision to mount the lump to the faceplate via a piece of mdf. Feels a lot more secure, so this will stay until the end.
The hollowing went well, see the pics, and I'm pretty sure there's a few better techniques but I found my carbide tool and a rounded scraper worked well.
A bowl gouge will be on order and I'll see how I get on with one. I really understand the need for a bowl rest now :wink:

Time for a picture me thinks.
First one just the outside turned down.

kJwI9Efl.jpg

Now mounted to a faceplate, muchobettero :lol:

dqii5PXl.jpg

On the inside, there's the plywood base.

ust7Lnbl.jpg

To finish our efforts for today I faced off a few more of the completed rings and glued them to what we had ready. Cascamite is the glue of choice, mixed with water tinted with some Van Dyke crystals. Might not notice the gaps this way :-" :lol:

ZoIdedNl.jpg

Tomorrow more turning. So we've got that to look forward too 8-[ :lol:
Thanks for the interest guys and all the comments.

As always, much love :D

One little tip attach some sandpaper to a flat board to it goes across the outer surface this will help get a flat mating surface for the next ring. But remember to set the lathe on the slowest speed for this as it is so easy to get heat checks in the wood.
You say you need a bowl gouge so other than the TCT tipped tool and the scraper what are you using tool wise

Dalboy":27nhl92m said:
One little tip attach some sandpaper to a flat board to it goes across the outer surface this will help get a flat mating surface for the next ring. But remember to set the lathe on the slowest speed for this as it is so easy to get heat checks in the wood.
You say you need a bowl gouge so other than the TCT tipped tool and the scraper what are you using tool wise

Now that sir is the kind of tip I need =D>
Tools wise, I bought a cheaper set and they show their massive short falls every time.
I have a 3/4" skew, learning that one :? A fairly decent roughing gouge, that's a nice heavy old tool from eBay. There's some "supposed to be gouges" that don't get much if any use and a few scrapers, angle/pointed, flat and curved.
The carbide tool is a homebrew job that uses round inserts and I'm finding that the most versatile. I have just acquired a 1" wide stormont that has plenty of length to it that I'll grind to make a really decent scraper.
It's a learning curve as you well know and finding what's right for me is just down to getting stuck in and having a go. So far I'm finding that its very addictive, this won't be me last or only project :D
Cheers Derek.

Bm101":3c83eaa9 said:
What could possibly go wrong?
*opens popcorn.

Well,,,,,,, lots to be honest Chris. Finding that the slowest speed is still pretty bloody fast (850rpm) :shock: , one might be shopping for some Tena products :lol:
Cheers my friend :D

sunnybob":22uw3j1w said:
Hah! just posted one of my own trying to get you out of hibernation, and whats happens? you go steal my thunder!
Well, actually, not so much thunder as a loud raspberry, but hey, some of us dont got lathes boyo.

I'm here SB, just busy :roll:
I caught your project , excellent stuff mate =D> =D>
I'm not sure about thunder, there's been quite a few yelp and yells :lol: Fingers and spinning things if you get my drift :lol:

Dont think much of this mystery story, its like a columbo movie. Youve told me who and what done which and where in the first chapter.
But hey, I can still stick around and heckle every so often, cant I?
Can I?
awww, gwonnn, please?

n0legs":3imagvh0 said:
Bm101":3imagvh0 said:
What could possibly go wrong?
*opens popcorn.

Well,,,,,,, lots to be honest Chris. Finding that the slowest speed is still pretty bloody fast (850rpm) :shock: , one might be shopping for some Tena products :lol:
Cheers my friend :D

Exactly! It's like watching that first bit of casualty and trying to work out what's going to happen to who and how. :D

(*carries on munching popcorn.)

Joking aside for a minute, stay safe mate and err on the side of caution. I know you're very on the ball and experienced but if it was me (and it wouldn't be :| ) I might think about a turners club to start with. Not advice of course. I wouldn't have the Jacobs to attempt that in the first place. I wouldn't mind getting a little metal lathe at some point though. It's the exploding bits of wood that would worry me! :oops:
Good luck mate, starting to shape up and past the worst bit I'm guessing. Watching with interest as always.
Take care mate.
Best as always
Chris

Hi it's me again :D
Just a quick update for today. This is fun the results are there to be seen at the end of each day and you quickly understand why turning is so popular.
Today was a good day, thank the gods :D

I turned down the new additions with very few incidents, less is more I'm learning. You think you can take off a load in one go, but you can't :wink: just gently work the wood and the shape appears.
Another thing I've learned is I really should have taken more care in selecting the layout of each segment. Some are with the grain cups (????) facing out, some are facing in, some have a straight grain and some have some utter b**t**d of a grain :lol: :lol:
Put it this way, you know in double quick time you're in the rough and not on the green #-o :lol: But hey I'm only learning.

No action shots I'm afraid just the one. This is where I've left it for today.
Like I said, I turned down the recently added rings, this went super well. Some more hollowing was done, I think this is the hardest part, that might be down to the lathes position or just down to me (it's probably me :roll: ) Lack of experience is showing to be honest.
There was enough time in the day to get some more glued on and set up for the next session.

KeeJNcrl.jpg

Sorry about the lack of photos, I will try to correct this, it's just exciting you see :lol:
Thanks for continued interest and comments, much appreciated :D

Much love.

sunnybob":39fmvotm said:
Dont think much of this mystery story, its like a columbo movie. Youve told me who and what done which and where in the first chapter.
But hey, I can still stick around and heckle every so often, cant I?
Can I?
awww, gwonnn, please?

More than welcome SB, heckle, come on you're not even breaking a sweat :lol:

Bm101":fo1y84nn said:
Exactly! It's like watching that first bit of casualty and trying to work out what's going to happen to who and how. :D

(*carries on munching popcorn.)

Joking aside for a minute, stay safe mate and err on the side of caution. I know you're very on the ball and experienced but if it was me (and it wouldn't be :| ) I might think about a turners club to start with. Not advice of course. I wouldn't have the Jacobs to attempt that in the first place. I wouldn't mind getting a little metal lathe at some point though. It's the exploding bits of wood that would worry me! :oops:
Good luck mate, starting to shape up and past the worst bit I'm guessing. Watching with interest as always.
Take care mate.
Best as always
Chris

Hey Chris thanks for that my friend =D>
Don't you worry, self preservation is quite high on my list :lol: All laughing and joking aside I'm watching exactly where my fingers and other important body parts are placed. The visor is on, down in front of my face long before the tools touch the wood. Safety first FTW! :lol:
Cheers mate.

Yay!
Ya know. It's a funny thing fear. I will hang off a building on a 10mm rope 300 feet up in December with 40 mph wind and snow howling round me. No worries. No care in the world. I've been blown round the corners of buildings. (Cut rope factor increasing exponentially) I've gone over the side of a 20 storey building and realised I haven't even connected my descender (probably best no one shares this with the HSE btw) and I'm there hanging on with one arm goin' ooops and giggling at my daftness. There's never any fear. Its what I do. I was born to work at height. I'm in control 99.9 % The rest of the hundred percent is Gods will for want of a better description. I've been lucky a couple of times. Things spinning faster than my eye can see. Not my bag really. Can't plan for it. We're all different mate.

How's everybody doing?
Here it's going good, too good, which makes me nervous :lol:

Well let's get on with it.
More turning has taken place and that is going really well. I'm getting some confidence with the hollowing out now. I'm finding the outside to be fairly straight forward to be honest (I might regret saying that :lol: ), get it roughed out and gently work the surface to get my desired shape.

The last three rings were glued together to make up a decent sized addition and set aside to dry whilst I turned the latest section down.
This went great. I returned later in the night just to glue on the last section ready for the start of the final turning session that started today.

A few pics :D

VBsmCB8l.jpg

rn0sM7bl.jpg

YRZCau5l.jpg

Due to clamping the pieces together off the lathe I needed a way to get the throat capacity of the clamps to cope with the taper in the turning. I cut a scrap piece of mdf into a large circle a few days ago to aid with the surfacing of the rings, this large circle was employed to widen the base diameter to allow the use of my clamps.
This large piece, faceplate you could call it, found another duty in being used in bringing the tailstock into use as further security/safety as can be seen in the last pic above. This has kept the inevitable catches under control, there's not such a fear of this thing flying off the lathe and killing me ( dramatic much :?: :lol: ). No, seriously we know things can go wrong and do so more often when you're inexperienced 8-[

Time ran out this evening to do anymore so this is where I'll leave it for now.
When I do more, you guys will hear more :D

Well you won't actually hear more, unless you listen to the voice in your head when you read. Oh, I'm just babbling now :lol:

As always much love.
n0legs is out :D

Well you won't actually hear more, unless you listen to the voice in your head when you read. Oh, I'm just babbling now :lol:

:shock:

Back