What's happening to out British language

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
What's happening to out British language ???

When I went to school we used words like this

Us is now pronounced UZ

and everything is now everythink

How does this work

#-o #-o :-k :-k :duno: :duno:

It happens with every generation. Look at how Dickens wrote compared to how we speak today or go back further to Shakespeare or Chaucer and there is a massive difference.

Language always has been and always will be a fluid thing so change is inevitable. As society becomes more multicultural the changes will happen faster. I think its an amazing thing, the sooner everyone can communicate without language barriers and get the same opportunities the better.

+1 for what Elapid said - language is a "living thing".

(But that doesn't mean you have to like it, I don't).

;-)

But what really p1sses me off, particularly as a "foreigner" living in another country with a difficult language (for me), is the number of times you see/hear English people making what, in my schooldays would have been classed as "schoolboy howlers", worth a detention and 1,000 lines! Some examples off the top of my head:
of and off;
site and sight;
their and there;
weather and whether;
comprises of instead of comprises or consists of;
and MANY more.

As I say, as someone who is not generally speaking his mother tongue "at home" every day it really does grate (grate/great, another one!) with me. I guess that I'm just a boring old pedant (but happily so).

AES

Us is now pronounced UZ
It always was wan't it? Except in Wales perhaps, where they tend to be phonetic with the s sound.
Sorry I don't want to spoil a good groany moany thread just as it's got going!

Blister":24ibeoig said:
What's happening to out British language ???

When I went to school we used words like this

Us is now pronounced UZ

and everything is now everythink

How does this work

#-o #-o :-k :-k :duno: :duno:

Not to mention punctuation!
:roll:

It may well be the real thing! :lol:
That Blister can't spell and can't punctuate is just a coincidence. :lol: :lol: Not sure about his pronunciation either.

Defiantly in place of definitely is oft seen on the forum. In Allen's defence I think he was referring to the way English is spoken not aksing (that one I detest) asking for a grammar lesson.

It happens in every generation - yes, but never more so than in the last.

Shops are now stores, maths is math, text speak is advancing far more rapidly than Orwell could have imagined newspeak would.

I tell you we're literally just scraping the iceberg here, what we need is a silver bullet, it's nip and tuck, eckcetera, etc. ... dumb is the new clever.

Back