What's happening to out British language

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but aint you fink like its well good dat like dem British as like de Irish Welsh Somali as such an like I includes all dem Bangradeshi an like uvva strands
less not forget the Nigerian bredren all got diss ting wot dey is calling the Britich langwodge. Like wen u is like bus roun daat tern jes chillin in you 12 an a puppy givvin face an its all like IIII an you is lyke IIII werd .

Nobody has yet mentioned the disappearance of the word "are". It now seems the norm to use the singular "is", usually abreviated to 's ,when the subject of the sentence is clearly a plural .
e.g. There's many choices.
I recently saw an article in the Daily Telegraph, aimed at children, which said "Here's the top 100 books". Absolute rubbish! :(

And why do so many, seemingly intelligent people, particularly television and radio reporters, have to start almost every sentence with "Yeah"?
"How are you, John?"
"Yeah, I'm good."
"What is the atmosphere like there, John?"
"Yeah, it's great."
"How many medals have team BG got so far?"
"Yeah, they've got five".

And don't get me started on "I mean". :evil:

Jacob":1bs5qfvl said:
Er - split infinitive innit.
Wonderfully subtle Jacob, akin to having ones grammar corrected by a Costermonger (hammer)

whiskywill":2ttl7vnr said:
And why do so many, seemingly intelligent people, particularly television and radio reporters, have to start almost every sentence with "Yeah"?
"How are you, John?"
"Yeah, I'm good."
"What is the atmosphere like there, John?"
"Yeah, it's great."
"How many medals have team BG got so far?"
"Yeah, they've got five".

And don't get me started on "I mean". :evil:

Yeah I mean like yeah how do you cope I mean like yeah just awful I mean yeah innit. (homer)

Basically is the word I find most irritating

Eg. 'Could you tell me which way to the train station?' ... 'Basically, you turn......' :evil::evil:

I hate the use of your out of context.

On my induction tour this is what I was told;
Here you got your press, your saw, your drill and your bench.

If they're all mine could I take them home?

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Language always evolves and there's nowt we can do about it, but what I really, really detest :twisted: :twisted: is 'up-speaking' (Oz fashion) at the end of a sentence. If anyone does it to me I just shake me bonce and tell 'em I don't understand what they're saying and could they repeat it - Rob

Don't worry about how we speak, texting is now so common that in several generations our vocal cords will have atrophied away and no one will be able to speak :shock:

Tom K":2dshghg9 said:
Yeah but aint you fink like its well good dat like dem British as like de Irish Welsh Somali as such an like I includes all dem Bangradeshi an like uvva strands
less not forget the Nigerian bredren all got diss ting wot dey is calling the Britich langwodge. Like wen u is like bus roun daat tern jes chillin in you 12 an a puppy givvin face an its all like IIII an you is lyke IIII werd .

Respeck Blood.

For normal day to day communications it probably does not matter, however for example a safety report, an airworthiness statement and a legal document need to be unambiguous. Over the last few years I have been involved with assessing graduates ability / inability to write factual technical reports, the results are not encouraging.

You think it's bad over there, you should hear, and especially read, the language here in the United States. There are actually people who think less of you, if you try to use proper grammar and punctuation. I mean, no one's perfect all the time, but at least I try to be coherent. In fact, this is the ONLY woodworking forum I've ever joined. One of the main reasons I chose this one, is the intelligent and concise language I've read here. I hope you guys don't kick me out for being a foreigner. I also hope I haven't made any grievous errors in this posting. If so, let me hear about it.

Back