What's gone wrong with my PC set-up.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an hour-glass symbol continually blinking next to my mouse pointer.
msconfig won't run. Windows can't find the file.
The posts-windows in UKWorkshop site keep jumping about as I try to post.
When I type something into the search bar on Google, the words vanish before I can press search, and I have to retype.
It's pineappling me off! :evil:

i take it you tried running the msconfig utility from the Start>Run box?

try opening a command line window

Start>Programs>Accessories>command prompt thingy window or whatever it's called...

then type "CD\" to get back the root directory
then "CD Windows" - that should get you into the windows directory
then "CD System32" and then type msconfig - that should find msconfig.exe

then you should be able to see what's going on

jim

You could try System Restore, going back to a restore point when your system was operating correctly. It doesn't destroy any data you have added since the date selected but will remove any programs you might have added. Or, if you have the Window disc, there is a repair facility included on there or you can re-install Windows.

Richard

thomvic":3dqchlmh said:
You could try System Restore, going back to a restore point when your system was operating correctly. It doesn't destroy any data you have added since the date selected but will remove any programs you might have added. Or, if you have the Window disc, there is a repair facility included on there or you can re-install Windows.

Richard
Hi Richard,
I tried SysRestore this afternoon. No go.

Jim,

Follwed your prompts Jim, but msconfig not recognised. I'll give the widows disc a try. Or maybe , if I find the file on the Windows disc, and transferred a copy into the Sytem32 folder in the Windows folder on my hrad drive, do you know if that would work gents?

Thanks fellas. Obliged

:D

try a <CTRL><ALT><DEL> stop and view the process tab - you may have acquired a nasty little bug - things like the same process running 30 or 40 times etc... they slow up the system and send things screwy

also on the command window try a few other executable files like 'CHKDSK' and 'DEFRAG' - they're in the C:\Windows\System32\ folder aswell... 'DRWATSON' is worth a try aswell - see if it finds any errors

jim

blurk99":2ew659gq said:
try a <CTRL><ALT><DEL> stop and view the process tab - you may have acquired a nasty little bug - things like the same process running 30 or 40 times etc... they slow up the system and send things screwy jim

+1

Check on the process list to see if it's been disabled. There are viruses which do exactly that amongst other things.

Also what tinbasher says is correct and not the first time that windows update has caused problems (which is why I always disable the Auto updates and download only what I want and after a net research). depending on the update, you can also sometimes uninstall it via the control panel. Go to action centre and view update history where there should be a link to removing the last update. If it still isn't right after removal and re boot then at least you've eliminated that possibility and can easily re-install.

Just a thought - it IS win 7 we are talking about :?

Bob

Thanks folks

It's WinXP as it happens. Very slow to boot, and it seems to be something to do with the USB drives, as I am getting a "No Disc in the Drive" Message, whenit tries to 'auto-play' and set up the file system.

I have Windows updates switched to alert and I decide. It was about three days ago when I last updated Windows. Consequently, the Windows "version" I have now, is newer than the one on my disc! So it want's to do a full fomat and re install.

That wouldn't be a problem, but since I bought a new motherboard, I've been unable to get the new set-up to recognise 'A' drive, and there are some SATA driverswhich have to be installed at Windows main set-up, via the floppy drive. Consequently I can't get a full set-up to run properly, and I don't want to end up with nothing at all!

There was no 'repair' facility on the Windows disc that I could find. Oh for the days of Win 98, when you could just do a frsh install over the top, and not touch any other files. I was offered the chance to install Windows, but didn't want to risk getting so far, then having to format the disc.
So, it looks like I shall have to put everything over onto an external drive, and then get "Number One Son" to come over and do whatever it was he did last time, to set this lot up again!

Thanks again for the replies. In the meantme, if anyone has any knowledge of anti-malware programs and which is goodl I'd be obliged.

I use AVG Pro version antivirus, but that tells me there are no viruses.
I use CC cleaner, and that keeps asking for money to clean up what it finds. I suspect it just tells me it's found millions of errors. In the end I suppose I have to buy a proper cleaning program, but which ones do you trust?
Thanks agin folks. :)

It migt be worth a read of http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrep ... all.htm#RI . However, I've found that XP installs do get steadily slower - my desktop got to the stage that it would take 20 minutes to boot and get to the desktop and as soon as I tried to use it there was a lot of system activity. I used a disk of various utilities that booted from a CD and scanned and defraged and also carried out a full disk check, but although this improved it a bit it was still a pain to use, so I did a clean install and the problem went away. Others also found that a reinstall of XP was commonly required after a cou[ple of years of use.

As for the A drive problem - I have found floppy drives prone to problems and failures - the one in my desktop doesn't read most disks. I I needed another I'd probably get a cheap USB floppy.

I upgraded to W7 some time ago and since then I have had no performance problems with Windows.

As for virus protection I use Microsoft Security Essentials - it works fine, is free and seems to use little in the way of sysem resources.

Misterfish

This is a perfect opportunity to try Linux Mint (12) :mrgreen: Its simple and its free and works in a similar vein (?) to xp
http://linuxmint.com/
If you have access to another pc, download the file and burn it to disc, pop it in your pc drive and boot it.
you can install it alongside your xp so nothing of your 'original' pc will be affected. just follow the on screen instructions.
I bet you never go back to windows after trying it for a few days. :D

Hi Nev,

I have been tempted before by Linux, but I am still nervy about lousing everything up. I don't have much luck with PCs for some reason. Whatever I buy for them, if there's a 'lemon'... I get it!

I found the problem this time. It turned out to be the USB drivers. I had tried installing them, but with the USB hub plugged in, the software wouldn't install. Also the hub was affecting the start-up, but unplugging it whilst I installed the drivers seems to have solved the problem, and Dr. Watson remains home at 221b Baker Street.. :mrgreen:

Thanks to everyone for the help.

:D

Back