What's Blister up too now ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well after the arrival of the BGM :lol: , I though it was time for a shake up / re vamp / workshop sort out :p

I am now going to move into the Garage as my turning shop so decided to take it from this
119_1956.jpg

to this

IMG_2320.jpg

no light feet in itself :roll: , move everything , move the racking , re build the racking etc etc :roll:

Then I had the idea to batten and insulate the walls 8) so I would be nice and warm when the cold season arrives , proceded to batten the walls with 35 mm sq stock .
IMG_2325.jpg

I also got 10 sheets of 35 mm insulation with foil either side

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

, and 10 sheets of OSB 8 x 4 to cover it all up , Was told to use oil based paint on the boards

Firstly I was going to cut a 45 degree end to go over the cement fillet along the botton of the walls , looks like this
IMG_2323.jpg

but decided against it as it would have no strength to support the walls :roll:

So out with this lot

IMG_2326.jpg

and start chipping away 14 mtrs of this

IMG_2322.jpg

Then fix the battens top and bottom with steel brackets

IMG_2327.jpg

I then had to cut the insulation into 14" wide strips so as to keep the spacing correct so a 8 x 4 sheet would fix to the end battens

IMG_2330.jpg

Still have loads to do , but will update when needed

Have fun out there 8) :p

my garage is exactly the same construction blister- the sloping concrete is there for a reason-it does somthing- i dont know what :-k but i'm sure it does.

i've just re-lined mine with 20mm osb- Prime it with zinsser bin or oil based allcoat then apply what ever finish you want i chose dulux trade diamond egggshell P.B.W

dont for get the roof btw

The sloping fillet is to stop water ingress, expect the bottom batten now fixed to the floor to get water saturated and wick up the inner wall and any residual water to flow over the floor.

Any water running down the outer concrete panel skin will have a natural tendancy to flow under the wall.

cornucopia":1rbrap48 said:
my garage is exactly the same construction blister- the sloping concrete is there for a reason-it does somthing- i dont know what :-k but i'm sure it does.

i've just re-lined mine with 20mm osb- Prime it with zinsser bin or oil based allcoat then apply what ever finish you want i chose dulux trade diamond egggshell P.B.W

dont for get the roof btw

My Workshop is the same also - The Concrete creates a square spigot that the walls sit on - kinda like on top of a turned box. ( how very apt ! )

So if you chisel it all away your garage will fall off its base :)

Great idea the cladding ! - although i found with my lathe, running over winter the workshop was warm enough even to have the window open.

Loz

CHJ":sozmdzue said:
The sloping fillet is to stop water ingress, expect the bottom batten now fixed to the floor to get water saturated and wick up the inner wall and any residual water to flow over the floor.

Any water running down the outer concrete panel skin will have a natural tendancy to flow under the wall.

And that !

Maybe you could attach a waterproof skirt around the base of the walls, sealed at the join, to allow the run off to ground level ?

if the winds blowing in the right direction i occasinally get some rain come under but my battens sits on top of the fillet and my new osb sits 1/2" above the concrete floor.
I also sealed around the base of the walls with silicon to help stop any water getting through.

When the garage was originally constructed it was put on a raised collar of bricks , so it was above ground level , Dad decided to put the fillet in ? not sure why as we have never had any problems with water , The inside of the base was then infilled to the top course of bricks ,

Hope I have not ballsed it up , will find out in the rainy season :p

Saw a web site that said use oil based primer not water based , so I have a 2.5 ltr tin ready to put on :lol:

I am going to fix white tongue and grove cladding inside the roof with some rockwall above it , so hopefully it will be snug :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Must get back to the grind stone (hammer) (hammer)

will update again over the weekend :wink:

I had that concrete fillet round my garage when it was erected.
The rain still came in :roll:
So when i done what you are doing now,it all came up,most of it was loose anyway,and done what George done sealed all the joints outside the garage with sealant.

One thing to keep in mind when you insulate the roof is to leave an air gap between the insulation and roof and a route for outside air to circulate. This will stop condensation forming and consequential damp problems.

Looks like it will be a really nice space.

One other tip now you have some big toys, consider installing some cheap roller blinds that will roll down to hip height ish around the BGM (leaving space to work). You can then roll them down to act as a shaving catcher when you are roughing / letting the shavings fly. This saves loads of time clearing up after an enthusiastic turning session.

Keep the piccys coming.

Simon.

SVB":2h8590x9 said:
One thing to keep in mind when you insulate the roof is to leave an air gap between the insulation and roof and a route for outside air to circulate. This will stop condensation forming and consequential damp problems.

Looks like it will be a really nice space.

One other tip now you have some big toys, consider installing some cheap roller blinds that will roll down to hip height ish around the BGM (leaving space to work). You can then roll them down to act as a shaving catcher when you are roughing / letting the shavings fly. This saves loads of time clearing up after an enthusiastic turning session.

Keep the piccys coming.

Simon.

Funny you should mention that , I was going to get some cheap plastic shower curtains and hang them up on poles , when not in use just pull them back out of the way

Thanks
for your comments

:p

devonwoody":fy4rmbuh said:
So, Blister, how did you get on with the insulated roof. I've got the corrugated one like yours?

Morning Devon W

Yes I have a corrugated roof and sorted it out as follows

Removed all old lights and timber brackets / rubbish etc

Installed lengths of 3 " x 2 " timbers running along the length of the roof 22ft long , I cut notches in the timbers to allow the timber to fit over the angle irion roof trusses so the 2" side comes flush with the lowest side of the angle iron

I then slid in 30mm thick polystyrene sheets along the lenght of the roof

Then put up interior grade white steel sheeting plastic coated and used self tapping fixings with built in washers and sealing o rings

Then fixed 2" x 1" battens all around the outside of the roof to hold up the outer edges of the white roof sheets

I will take some photos later when I go down the workshop and post them up

Thanks Blister, look forward to pics. to follow your instructions.

Also does it work?

It would be nice if the outside corrugated material had a coating of some form of sealer. The underside of my asbestos looks damp after bad weather.

devonwoody":t52298o8 said:
Thanks Blister, look forward to pics. to follow your instructions.

Also does it work?

It would be nice if the outside corrugated material had a coating of some form of sealer. The underside of my asbestos looks damp after bad weather.

OK John

Photos as promised :wink:

IMG_0761.jpg

This shot shows the apex of the roof , as the sheets are profiled I had to cut through one set of profiles to get the sheets to bend up into the apex , The sheets were 10 foot long and fitted across the garage without trimming :lol:
IMG_0759.jpg

These are the fixings , I think they are for roofs , so supposed to be waterproof

IMG_0760.jpg

To hold the outer edge up tight to the walls I used 2" x 1 " battens screwd all around the edge

IMG_0762.jpg

All painted to match the walls , I am happy with the end result , and yes it does work , keeps it nice and warm as directly above is the insulation sheets also running side to side across the width of the garage

I forgot to take photos of the wooden battens I installed to screw the roof sheets to

:oops:

but there is only 2 , you can see the 2 rows of screws in the photo , then the outer edge batten fixings , that's it , Jobs a good en :lol:

Deckbuilder":eij0ven9 said:
What type of sheets are they exactly mate ?

Cant remember the name , but they are interior grade steel sheets white on one side , gray on the other , 10 foot long

If I remember correctly about £150 for enough to do a 9 ft by 22 ft garage

Back