What's an oak tree worth?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspector":2tqqekip said:
Spaulted Oak can be gorgeous if it hasn't progressed to the point of being soft. Like I said woodturners might be interested in the parts you don't like.

Pete

Obviously I'll bear turners in mind, but there don't look to be any potentially interesting bits to the tree. I'd be surprised if its spalted. The thing I am worried about are radial cracks/ splits/ shakes. There are a few at the bottom of the tree that don't penetrate far, but one of them extends 5 or 6 metres up the trunk. It could be minor, but it could be an issue.......the chainsaw will reveal all.

The other tree has woodpecker holes in the top, and the bark sounds hollow. It is very long and very straight, but smaller in diameter than the first one (which on measuring turns out to be over 500mm in diameter). I'm not optimistic, but it might produce some reasonable green oak, and I've a couple of garden structures to build (pergolas etc), so I'll not dismiss it entirely.

custard":3p37vnj9 said:
There's something very satisfying about knowing the exact location of the tree that went into a piece of furniture, and doubly so when that location is only a biscuit toss away from where the furniture will reside.

What's an Oak tree worth? Under those circumstances I'd say quite a lot!

Absolutely.

Out of my other window is a managed wood with many thousand sweet chestnut. I'll be 'accidentally' bumping into the owner any day now.

Mike

Some years ago, after a really massive famous storm, we had 35 fallen mainly very large oaks (by modern standards), 15 much smaller elms, one walnut, a few pines, some ash, beech and bits and bobs. I got a portable sawmill to come and convert the felled timber to beams and planks.

I put the whole lot in a barn and have used it or sold it as an amateur ever since. The oak is like iron it is so hard now, and I have sold a lot of it.

I highly recommend processing your own timber. It is so satisfying. I am presently laying floorboards in my present house cut from this timber store. You get the odd surprise and you need to be willing to be patient for air dried seasoning.

AJB Temple":t4k273nj said:
Some years ago, after a really massive famous storm, we had 35 fallen mainly very large oaks (by modern standards), 15 much smaller elms, one walnut, a few pines, some ash, beech and bits and bobs. I got a portable sawmill to come and convert the felled timber to beams and planks......

What a haul! That's a lifetime of woodworking covered. Shame for the loss of trees, but they couldn't be put to a better use.

Back