What's a good size (For storing timber)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some 7M x 0.4M x 0.05M planks which I want to store in my 'lean to' wood store. They are too heavy for me to handle at the moment. What would be a suitable length to cut them down to? bearing in mind that I have no project in mind to use them on right now.

Hi Losos,

If I were in your position I'd not cut the planks. As sods and murphys law will no doubt dictate there'll be an inch too short for your next project. Can almost guarantee that....Best to get some help in moving them.

Rgds

Noel

Think of the widest project you might make (eg a dresser or wide bookshelves, a long table etc.) and add a foot to allow for checking, planing for snipe etc. I have this problem, usually when I buy wood from the USA which comes up 14 ft long. I have to cut it to about 9ft 6 inches max to fit in my workshop - in fact two 7 foot lengths would normally be better.

Check for splits at each end before you cut and remove enough wood to get rid of these first

Thanks guys. - Noely, I think I will have to take some off but there checks and damage at the ends so i guess I could start there and meanwhile try some arm wrestling with the missus to build up my lifting ability :lol:

Back