What would you do with this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westwardho

Established Member
Reaction score
It's really just a practice piece, so don't say "chuck it in the firewood pile" :)

Turning a piece of green willow into a bowl for practice. Horribly wet and gummy to turn, but free wood is free wood, and it's only for practising. I've found this... blemish. I'd rather not turn a whole inch (or whatever it is) deeper if there's something better I can do.

(Using imgur because the images are huge, let me know if it's preferable to embed them in the message anyway.)

I've successfully filled 'features' like this in the past with sawdust and superglue - colour with coffee grains if necessary. But that was on dry wood and wouldn't work here, as epoxy would not either, as apart from a poor bond, the wood will move as it dries and the filling won't.

Leave as is, as already mentioned with wet wood because it's going to change size as the wood dries.

With same sort of feature in dry wood then you can fill it with coffee grounds and thin CA glue or once you have collected a selection of different coloured sanding dusts use them.

Don't try to match the colour of the main wood, it's vary rarely possible, always better to go for a contrast that looks more like a natural feature as nature intended.

Edit:- OW beat me to it.

It's really just a practice piece, so don't say "chuck it in the firewood pile" :)

Turning a piece of green willow into a bowl for practice. Horribly wet and gummy to turn, but free wood is free wood, and it's only for practising. I've found this... blemish. I'd rather not turn a whole inch (or whatever it is) deeper if there's something better I can do.

(Using imgur because the images are huge, let me know if it's preferable to embed them in the message anyway.)

Dig out the soft bits and fill with spent coffee grounds and superglue, it'll create an exothermic reaction and be ready for turning within 30 mins.... nice natural colour

Back