• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

What would you do with this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

westwardho

Established Member
Reaction score
It's really just a practice piece, so don't say "chuck it in the firewood pile" :)

Turning a piece of green willow into a bowl for practice. Horribly wet and gummy to turn, but free wood is free wood, and it's only for practising. I've found this... blemish. I'd rather not turn a whole inch (or whatever it is) deeper if there's something better I can do.

(Using imgur because the images are huge, let me know if it's preferable to embed them in the message anyway.)

novocaine

Established Member
Reaction score
leave it. its a feature. :)
wet wood and epoxy are'nt a good combination for longevity.

westwardho

Established Member
Reaction score
leave it. its a feature. :)
You mean just proceed as normal as if it weren't there and let it be whatever it turns out as in the end? Or would I need to do something differently around it, or something?

novocaine

Established Member
Reaction score
I mean proceed as normal (but with care given to catching as you turn that area).

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I've successfully filled 'features' like this in the past with sawdust and superglue - colour with coffee grains if necessary. But that was on dry wood and wouldn't work here, as epoxy would not either, as apart from a poor bond, the wood will move as it dries and the filling won't.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Leave as is, as already mentioned with wet wood because it's going to change size as the wood dries.

With same sort of feature in dry wood then you can fill it with coffee grounds and thin CA glue or once you have collected a selection of different coloured sanding dusts use them.

Don't try to match the colour of the main wood, it's vary rarely possible, always better to go for a contrast that looks more like a natural feature as nature intended.

Edit:- OW beat me to it.

HappyAtticus

Reaction score
I saw a guy on youtube using ground soapstone and ca glue to fill larger holes, looked very good.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
It's really just a practice piece, so don't say "chuck it in the firewood pile" :)

Turning a piece of green willow into a bowl for practice. Horribly wet and gummy to turn, but free wood is free wood, and it's only for practising. I've found this... blemish. I'd rather not turn a whole inch (or whatever it is) deeper if there's something better I can do.

(Using imgur because the images are huge, let me know if it's preferable to embed them in the message anyway.)

Dig out the soft bits and fill with spent coffee grounds and superglue, it'll create an exothermic reaction and be ready for turning within 30 mins.... nice natural colour