What woodworking did you do today?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much sanding and making sure I knew where everything goes I finished staining all the poplar with indian ink.

Not sure whether to put some oil on before I start the horrendous glue up, any opinions?

20220722_224503.jpg

Today I made a tooth pick as I couldn't find my dental floss. Other than that just avoided the Mrs really as she tested + for the dreaded lurgy this morning. I've stapledher to the bedroom wall and left her a bucket. Will see how she is in a couple of days, until then will play with the TV remote as I don't normally get to touch that.

Cleaned out a woodburner flue not used lately and extracted 4 dead pigeons and a lot of pigeony bits n bobs. :oops:

Working on a vintage 1905 motor launch, yesterday i glued the new starboard beamshelf in. Took the old one out last week & found a rotten streak in it nececitating a new one. Today i removed the port one & will clean it up tomorrow, if it passes muster it will go back in, if it doesnt it will also be replaced. There will be approx 15% of the original boat left.
Its a lovely retirement project, no pressure from a customer just the satisfaction of doing a proper first class job with no short cuts. Using skills gained over a lifetime to rebuild a very rare boat.
Keeps me sane!

@Fidget Inlay mitres are a bit ropey and how on earth were you able to find such big bits of holly for the inlay banding?

Yeah, I'll get my 🧥

nice tables though

Working on a vintage 1905 motor launch, yesterday i glued the new starboard beamshelf in. Took the old one out last week & found a rotten streak in it nececitating a new one. Today i removed the port one & will clean it up tomorrow, if it passes muster it will go back in, if it doesnt it will also be replaced. There will be approx 15% of the original boat left.
Its a lovely retirement project, no pressure from a customer just the satisfaction of doing a proper first class job with no short cuts. Using skills gained over a lifetime to rebuild a very rare boat.
Keeps me sane!

Nice project!

We need pics!

BE0AA6A1-9659-42FB-BA97-CD9B0E212E08.jpeg
Almost finished this. More of a prototype than anything with some left over spruce. It’s pretty horrible but I learnt a lot.

I kept the top of the legs square to try and make the joinery easier and used a rasp to shape. It didn’t go well and clamping was a mare. I think I’ll go round all the way up next time.

More of a prototype than anything
Everything you make is a prototype.

You get it from your head and onto paper and from there into the real world.
Its only after this point that you can look and judge. Too tall, too wide, not wide enough etc etc.

Your occasional table there is bloody lovely. I like the way you've done the legs.

----------
What have i done today or this year for that matter - absolutely naff all :( I seem good at buying tools and machinery, but I seem to have lost my mojo.

Been sanding down my 22mm thick burr maple slab ….. small bow tie on a crack at one end then two coats of hard wax oil after sanding down to 400 grit.

View attachment 156949Almost finished this. More of a prototype than anything with some left over spruce. It’s pretty horrible but I learnt a lot.

I kept the top of the legs square to try and make the joinery easier and used a rasp to shape. It didn’t go well and clamping was a mare. I think I’ll go round all the way up next time.
Fantaastic table and would look superb with a danish soap finish

I saw there use to be an old thread that members posted what they had done that day. So I thought I'd start a new one.

So, what did you do today? (Photos are very welcome).
I saw there use to be an old thread that members posted what they had done that day. So I thought I'd start a new one.

So, what did you do today? (Photos are very welcome).
Nowt today squashed a disc in my back now in the endless Q waiting for treatment

Today I assembled an electric guitar that I’ve been making, on and off, for about a year. It now needs to sit for a while, and settle under string tension, before I do the set-up.

Back