What woodworking did you do today?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glued up some boards today to make a box.
3FF582E2-E816-4989-9AFD-297AE0ECE81B.jpeg

Took delivery of an English no. 4.5 with a very tight mouth, looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 0
I've been making some pelmets - no photos unfortunately but I'm very pleased with how they have turned out. I thought rather than the usual square ended 'box' that I would curve the ends in to meet the walls with a radius of about 50mm. I cut grooves on the back of the pelmets plywood face to allow it to bend easily and it's all worked a treat.

Steve.

Not today unfortunately but yesterday, I picked up several old joists from a house renovation which will be going toward my first workbench build. I've got to go back to the place and pick up a couple more lengths to make sure I have enough for the top and legs. There's a lot of denailing to do and clean up of the face and edges but I couldn't think of a much better way to reuse a few 100 year old pieces of timber!

Bit of vinyl siding installation, accompanied by a wolf spider

Attachments

• 20220709_154017.jpg
    20220709_154017.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20220709-WA0021.jpeg
    IMG-20220709-WA0021.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220709_143102.jpg
    20220709_143102.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20220709-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20220709-WA0016.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 0
Sharpened seven pencils - the wife has them all around the house, uses them until the lead is flush with the wood but never sharpens one :)

They are for drawboring the M&T joints and I use a brace with a fluted bit.
What I discovered with a lot of old joinery was that pins were often square (ish) and riven, but holes were drilled round. Draw bored or not.
Knocking square pegs into round holes was normal.
Because it's easy to drill a round hole but it's not easy to trim a round peg (quickly).
But it wasn't obvious and took me some time to work out!
It explained a mysterious feature of many pegged joints - the far end of the hole (and the peg) is round but the near end (where you hammer in the square peg) is misshaped - often having the appearance of a grain of corn - an oval sort of shape but with two pointy ends.
This is because as you hammer the square peg though, it deforms the hole but by the time it gets to the far side the peg has been squashed to near round shape to match the hole.
The irregular shape at the entry is due to the grain being more compressible in one direction, rather than the other. So whatever shape it is it won't be square.
Must dig out the photos.

Last edited:
I’m at work but in between meetings I’ll be out in the shed cutting and/or laminating boards for my workbench.

Not Today but.
Just inside the front door I had a recces for a door mat which when the hall was re-carpeted was filled in with old carpet. The boss wanted it finished.

On tuesday rolled back the carpet and pulled up the floor boards between the recess and the door. pulled up the floor boards in the bottom of the recess. The old floor boards next to the door were supported by a joist that was bearing on the ground! so that is now in my wheelie bin. Gave all the other joists coating of preservative, warm nights are good if you need to leave the windows open. I acquired some floor boards from a skip last year which had some plaster etc on them so scrubbed and washed it off and left the boards to catch the morning sun.

Yesterday received two chisels from woodworkers workshop. Then removed the chipboard I had placed over the hole and gave the joists a second coat of preservative. I bought a track saw last month so this was its first outing and if I make a mistake does not matter so much. Cut up the "new" old floor boards and ripped one of the old floorboards from the bottom of the recess into battens to pack up the "new" floor boards above. Gave the old boards from recess a wash and they are out in the sun to be treated on Friday with the door ends of the "new" floor boards.

There is only about 80mm below the floorboards just inside the door and I do not want to go digging there as you can see the water pipe and the electric is somewhere there. I was going to put in a new tanalised 4x2 which was left over from my shed build but there is not enough room (why I assume someone had just put the old joist on the ground). Not sire what to do may go and get a couple of quarry tiles and use the 2x4 on its side. It would be only about 200 back to the next joist which was trimming the old recess. Or I may buy a bit of plate or angle to span over two concrete block pavers. Will go out today and do some shopping.

Glued up the little box out of cedar of Lebanon, box joints, yesterday. And, planed the sides flush a few hours later. Smells really great, lovely wood to work with. Only regret is that the stock was 19mm thick, and I left it that, maybe a little bit clunky for a small box like that, need to resolve that.

Back