What wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
After taking apart my grans set of lounge chairs in a house clearence after she sadly passed away all the pieces having been lying on the rafters of the workshop whilst i think of something to make with it all. This morning i gave it a sand to try and find out what type of wood it is

beech001.jpg

beech002.jpg

My guess is that it is maybe beech :-k
does anyone else some more informed opinions as to what it is or might be
many thanks
b_h

yup, it's beech

Name Beech
Latin Name Fagus sylvatica
Trade Names: Beech
Origin: Europe
Range: Distributed all over Europe. One of the most frequent and important European species.

Uses: For veneer. Compared with other European species Beech is large in dimension (often 60 cm and more in diameter). It is also used for furniture, parquet flooring and chipboard and is excellently suited for bending (seating furniture). Beech also is well-suited for work benches as well as being good construction lumber. One of the most used woods in Europe. In the veneer form it is produced as steamed, slightly steamed or white Beech. In the middle of the nineties Beech became a remarkably fashionable wood in the veneer and solid wood sectors.

Properties: Reddish-white to reddish-brown, often with a brown heartwood when older. In some regions the Beech tends to have great tension (X, Y, T- tension) and buckles as a result of irregular annual ring formation (so-called hard years). Dark stains and mineral streaks occur frequently and reduce the value of the wood.

Machining: Working of Beech presents no difficulties either by machine or hand. It can be easily planed, turned and molded.
Seasoning: The strong tendency to check and warp can only be counter-acted by slow and careful drying. Steamed wood dries slightly faster.

Finishing: Any type of surface finish can be applied to Beech. It takes stains and lacquers very well.

Jointing: Beech takes glue very well and provides durable joints. Screw and nail joints are strong but pre-drilling is rec-ommended.

Andy

And the stuff beneath looks like oak veneered MDF

Name: Oak veneered MDF
Latin Name: Sawdustius compressius
Trade Names: Oak-covered sheet stuff
Origin: Europe
Range: Distributed all over Europe. Now THE most frequent and important European species. :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Been a slooooow afternoon (sanding).

Oh and the stuff on top is BEECH..... But you already knew that

Scrit

Back