What wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamG340

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone help me identify what type of wood this door is made of pls ?
IMG_20220420_200019.jpg

An educated guess would be sapele, if you remove the handles you may get a better idea as your door looks heavily stained- I hung a door like that several years ago and the wood was as hard as nails and didn’t like being planed cut or drilled 😖😖

An educated guess would be sapele, if you remove the handles you may get a better idea as your door looks heavily stained- I hung a door like that several years ago and the wood was as hard as nails and didn’t like being planed cut or drilled 😖😖

Sounds promising 😬

No chance. Just a cheapo modern door made of sapele or something similar.
Usualy find some parts hard some related to balsa you can see from the center rh panel two disimilar woods joined causing the dark / light effect i used to buy these doors for cheap quick replacment on old houses cost about £70 to £80 quid

Almost certainly sapele, sometimes confusingly called "sapele mahogany" by some sellers.

All of the internal doors in my house are just like those, house built 1986 ish. I can live with them but wouldn't choose them, I've stained with a high build dark woodstain a few times over the years (been here 25) but the end grain on the chamfers is still pretty rough and nasty and it took a few coats to get anything like an even colour.

There are many varieties of mahogany so its not impossible I suppose but I doubt anyone paying for 'real mahogany' would accept what look to be inexpensive handles.

had a very similar door myself, it was meranti definitely not sapele, you can tell the difference if you go over with a scraper or plane and get it back to the natural colour.

Meranti can vary a lot but sometimes there are nice bits of wood in the mix. Its used a lot for doors and windows as its quite stable so movement issues are reduced. If you ever get the chance to pick the good boards it can be quite good.

P6080009~1.JPG
Regards
John

Meranti is one of a closely related group of timbers that used to be known as Philipine mahogany, Luan is another name & was often used for doors & window frames. It can be as soft & nearly as light as balsa, Often has many thundershakes in it.
At the other extreme is Dark red meranti, I have two 18ft boards of this stuff, a rich deep red with an almost purple tinge.
It is enormously heavy & very hard.

Hard to say what wood it is under all that dust, can't tell if they are stained or not?

As said most likely Meranti or Sapele but you never know as Mahogany was used for stuff a lot more back in the day :dunno:

Off the wall suggestion here, I fitted a few Cherry doors maybe 25 years ago which looked like that, they had the narrow lock rail which I think just looks wrong. The other thing is the difference in colour in the panel and also in the right hand stile, a lot of the Meranti ones were very bland colour wise. Probably not but you never know.

Latest posts

Back