What wood ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been to a boot sale and a chap was selling off turned bowls and had some blanks under the table

Can anyone tell me what wood they might be please?

Hopefully I can get some nice boxes and things out of them

Attachments

• Clip478.jpg
    Clip478.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Clip477.jpg
    Clip477.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 295
  • Clip476.jpg
    Clip476.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 295
  • Clip475.jpg
    Clip475.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 295
  • Clip473.jpg
    Clip473.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 295
Definitely 100% Iroko!

Make sure you wear a mask when working it, the dust is extremely foul and will make you choke up. I think excessive exposure to the dust can even make some people pass out. Its effect are worse on some people rather than others and it's one of the few timbers that with exposure will make the problems worse over time, to the point where ANY dust will set off a reaction.

It's splinters are also pretty nasty for going infected in a heartbeat so try to avoid that!

You will also want to keep an eye out for Calcite stone deposits (White streaks), these will ruin tools in no time at all and is better avoided. Although they might make for interesting features in a finished piece if you kept with it.

Thanks for that (I think ;-)

Doesn't sound to user friendly but than what dust is

Never heard of the stuff, so something new learned there

I did a quick google on Iroko then checked ebay just to see, and find there is someone a couple of miles away selling various hardwoods and is clearly making items too, his timber is a little out of my pockets range but interesting to know he is there

I paid £3 for six blanks various sizes, shortest is 23cm

Thanks for the advice much appreciated

Back