What wood to use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielle

Reaction score
Hi.
I make, paint and decorate letters currently using MDF. I purchase the sheets from B&Q but recently the MDF they sell has changed and is horrible to work with as the fibres pick out.
Can anyone recommend something else I could use to create a nice finish?

Hi Danielle, I hate mdf and avoid it like the plague, but from reading posts on here apparently the more expensive exterior grade stuff doesn't get such fluffy edges and is much better to paint

what about trying another source for mdf if you have had good results in the past.

has anything else changed- blades, cutters sharp, speed of cut the same as before etc?

We've been getting some real rubbish MDF recently from our usual supplier, very fluffy core material and poor quality faces, shop around and find another supplier, we did and their product is much better and cheaper too!

Hi Marcus.
Haven't changed anything else.
The new MDF thats horrible, is now more shiny where as the older stuff was rougher. The paint doesnt stick to it very well and to when you rub it down it looks terrible.
Looked elsewhere but they seem the same :-(

Lowlife":39s3lhq4 said:
We've been getting some real rubbish MDF recently from our usual supplier, very fluffy core material and poor quality faces, shop around and find another supplier, we did and their product is much better and cheaper too!

Where do you now get yours from??

Good question! We're trying several different suppliers, I think the most recent was Jewson and theirs was much better, also tried Travis Perkins who were also good but more expensive IIRC.

Hi Danielle
The material you require is MRMDF, that's Moisture Resistant MDF. It is sometime (but not always) dyed green, either all the way through or just the core. The cut edges finish much more nicely and it's what the pros use for kitchens. It is more expensive, so you have to build that into your costings.
Cheers
Steve

Back