What wood to use for Paul sellers workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is he still using that bench, he seems to change them like pajamas.
I wouldn't be keen on being the first to see how well it might fair out.
i.e swelling
Guessing the ply is thirsty stuff if wanting to seal it. (for quite a few reasons)
Could end up being quite a costly process, and possibly no good in the end.

Not much ply in my damp shed, as it goes moldy in there.
Yet to see the same happen to any pine or hardwood.

Still though, might make sense for one who has sheets and sheets of the stuff lying around.

Tom

Is he still using that bench, he seems to change them like pajamas.
I wouldn't be keen on being the first to see how well it might fair out.
Guessing the ply is thirsty stuff if wanting to seal it.
Could end up being quite a costly process.

Not much ply in my damp shed, as it goes moldy in there.
Yet to see the same happen to any pine or hardwood.

Still though, might make sense for one who has sheets and sheets of the stuff lying around.

Tom
agree - ply is not the wood for any damp situation, (even slightly, even temporarily) - and 'exterior ply' is not the answer although marine ply may be if you have plenty of money

That's an MFT though, and not a workbench for hand tool woodworking.
Yes hand tools, need something substantial so look at 4 inch fence post for the legs, it is what I used for an engineering bench in my last workshop involving metal and heavy items but little woodworking.

That's an MFT though, and not a workbench for hand tool woodworking.

For the same money as solid timbers, plywood is a completely different animal than laminated together, and wouldn't be in anyway suitable.
I'd doubt even the best baltic birch would be suitable for a top for efficient precision planing, and not fooling around.

Nice to have a few offcuts for chopping on, and protecting the bench from saw cuts, which should be a given.

Tom
Perhaps you hadn't noticed, Sellers has made and uses his ply bench regularly.

I get the impression most people here hate him as well as on the 'other' forum.
I don't dislike him, just the simple woodworking he promotes clashes with the slick marketing machine behind it.

Happens all the time when a YouTuber becomes popular and starts getting endorsements or hobnobbing with the "stars" at which point I unsubscribe!!!

I made my bench out of leftovers. The legs came from an old pallet(not the standard shape or size, it was some sort of special). I had some 6 by 2 left over from building my shed, so I ripped it into 3 by 2 and laminated the worktop. The well is a removable piece of Douglas Fir. I had great trouble finding anything suitable for the aprons, so I ended up buying some timber from Travis Perkins, which has not stayed very flat, but it's probably good enough for the crude work I generally do. Added to which the entire bench is usually covered in rubbish to the point of invisibility...

Probably like you I wanted to upgrade and old rickety bench that I have used for many years. When I priced up the cost of the wood I started looking for a good secondhand work bench. Within quite a short like I came across a Sjoberg vintage bench in practically unused condition, like new. One owner from new, came with the purchase receipt from the 70’s and complete with unused accessories. This is a beautiful solid work bench for very little money, the owners were more concerned that it went to a worthwhile home. It saved me a lot of money and time.
EF3F8467-4DFB-4DBB-82BB-DC8BF003D334.png
AA7DB139-7D87-40E9-AFF7-BDFC0A78FFF1.png

It baffles me why he ever designed it!🤔🤔🤔

I guess the best of men have thier flaws!!!

This is too late for the original post but open a Wickes tradepro account which can get you trade discount.
Slightly separate has anyone used new garden sleepers as legs or frame of a bench

But does anyone honest use a bench made like that?
It's a simple, relatively cheap option, built and used by others. I agree it's not a heavy bashing table and may irritate some traditionalists but perfectly good for assembly, light woodworking etc. Personally I intend to build a bench using Dennis from Hooked On Wood's design, but keeping my solid beech lump for heavier work. Sellers gets on my nerves occasionally but I have found some of his ideas very useful - have you tried using the Thor 712R as a mallet? It's a revelation.

It's a simple, relatively cheap option, built and used by others. I agree it's not a heavy bashing table and may irritate some traditionalists but perfectly good for assembly, light woodworking etc. Personally I intend to build a bench using Dennis from Hooked On Wood's design, but keeping my solid beech lump for heavier work. Sellers gets on my nerves occasionally but I have found some of his ideas very useful - have you tried using the Thor 712R as a mallet? It's a revelation.
I would have thought that's all that particular plywood bench would be good for.
Yet to see anyone be accurate/honest and productive, using anything but a
trusty flat bench top regarding using a hand plane.
The hand planing in my opinion, being the most important work regarding accurate hand tool woodwork or "hybrid" woodworking in the workshop.
Everything else is gravy after that.

Yet to see anyone honest demonstrate otherwise.
That's not asking for much I don't think, yet I always get a bit of sthick for stating the obvious.

Nothing compares to the CCW method, not even close.
Fine woodwork I'm talking about, and not green woodwork.

Tom

I would have thought that's all that particular plywood bench would be good for.
Yet to see anyone be accurate/honest and productive, using anything but a
trusty flat bench top regarding using a hand plane.
The hand planing in my opinion, being the most important work regarding accurate hand tool woodwork or "hybrid" woodworking in the workshop.
Everything else is gravy after that.

Yet to see anyone honest demonstrate otherwise.
That's not asking for much I don't think, yet I always get a bit of sthick for stating the obvious.

Nothing compares to the CCW method, not even close.
Fine woodwork I'm talking about, and not green woodwork.

Tom
What's the difference in accuracy required for fine woodwork and green woodwork then ?

I’m in the process of making my first ‘real’ bench. I’ve knocked up a few cheap light assembly benches in the past which I’ve always left at previous houses and which I wish I’d kept given the price of materials now.

I’m using the old pine joists from a house remodel. They were huge when I started and after getting the twists and bends out and losing a few mm here and there due to mistakes and poor planning it’s now a lot smaller and lighter than I’d have liked. The wood was free though, and I guess it’s better than if I’d ordered expensive Ash and made the same mistakes. It’s going to be Moravian style, the intention being that I bash it about a bit then switch the top to something bigger and heavier if and when prices come down.

Latest posts

Back