What wood preservative for raised beds?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, not high end joinery, but you guys know *everything*.

So, what preservative for raised beds? The timber will be pressure-treated but needs something more for soil contact I imagine.

Thanks

You should get at least a decade or two if not a lot longer. What I would be more concerned about is the treatment leaching into the soil you are growing your stuff in. Make sure you have the bed lined with something that won't let the chemicals in. You don't want it in your carrots do you?

Pete

I'd rather go for (manmade) chemical-free, durable timber (e.g oak or sweet chestnut).

I just use untreated sweet chestnut - been working fine for nine years so far....

I've been using treated fencing boards for raised beds and have used no extra treatment or lined them and they are still fine after 25 years.

I usually put in a small bead of clear silicon on mitred corners of my raised beds and line the bed with either an old plastic groundsheet or hay bale plastic wrap

I didn't treat the sawn edges - the boards are ½" and the pressure treatment would have penetrated anyway. They have not deteriorated at the sawn edges.

Back