What wood is this..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I made a jig for my bandsaw to allow me to cut logs up into nice planks....

I have had a log in the WS for around a year now and whilst trawling the internet for Woody things i found this.

I remember seeing a similar one a while back, and i made one like it today in about 30 mins... All mine consisted of was a piece of MDF with a runner to go in the T-Slot and i used a clamp to hold the log in place..

Sorry no pictures but i'll try and get one :oops:

Aside of the sled, i cut the log up...

It is only a really tiny log (about 6in diameter and about 60 cm long)

But nevertheless it looks really nice IMHO!!

Here they are (ill give the links rather than post them because i thought it would be more clearer to show a bigger picture!)

The planks
Close Up

So the log came from a friends garden and i'm guessing it was about 7ft high, but i may be wrong :? :roll:

So can anyone recognize the wood?

Ta

Tom

Cheers Alf... That was my silent guess, honest! \:D/

Another question i forgot to ask...

How long should i leave it to dry out? It is in my bedroom at the moment which is always warm...

Ta

Tom

Sycamore my #@&%...

whatchya got there Young Grasshopper.... is some Elm...

sticker it, set it aside someplace dry where air can circulate through the boards and keep an eye on it with a moisture meter... if you haven't done so already, paint the ends of the boards with some melted wax to stop the ends drying out faster than the rest of the boards..

I wouldn't be too surprized if they start to warp as they dry; Elm's notorious for it... but that said, you can get some bonny pieces from a wee log like that...

Another vote for Elm here. 95% sure :-k 8-[
Some wonderful elm pics here. Scroll down for the burls :shock: 8)

Elm ay.... sounds nice...

I have stickered it (all this technical mumbo jumbo, one has to revise :roll: ) and i didn't have any wax lying around :shock: so i just put some emulsion on the ends of the board!

I havn't got a moisture meter, but word has it that they sell them at B&Q, so i will have a looook there :)

Ta

Tom (who is learning fast about this wood making business :p )

Well there is one way to tell.

If it is sycamore it will be easy to plane (unless it is rippled, in which case, not). Also you will regret putting it in stick, it should be leant upright against the wall, the same way up as it grew.

If it is elm it will be coarse and a pain to plane, but when you have sanded the bejeezus out of it, it will look terrific.

From the photo, I'm in the (stained and mucky) sycamore camp. But then I've been wrong before. Once. I thought I'd made a mistake, but I hadn't.

CHeers
Steve

WiZeR":33xctusj said:

Don't worry wizer, i only foind out what it was last night...

Its the sticks of wood you put in between the layers of wood when drying

you can see them in this picture:

http://courses.umass.edu/bmat392a/image ... dstick.jpg

Hmmm so at the moments the score is 2 all.... who else wants to have a guess... Prize is a goldfish.... :roll: (not really :wink: )

Ta

Tom

If you're feeling perfectionist (and cheap), forget the moisture meter: put it in your bedroom, wait about 2 weeks, and cut a given size off one end of the least attractive piece (say 1" deep). weigh it on the kitchen scales, note the weight. Repeat in another 2 weeks, and so on, until the weight of your same sized pieces is identical (or at least, has stopped dropping regularly - you should end up with a graph that shows weight initially dropping relatively steeply, but then flattening out to a stable weight, if you plot weight against time on a piece of paper). This is about the only way of ensuring that the wood is at 'equilibrium moisture content' (EMC) for the environment in which it will live.

thomaskennedy":1utq6hxl said:
It is in my bedroom at the moment which is always warm...

Ta

Tom

mmmm...can just see myself asking Swmbo the following

After i have ruined your Microwave and used up all your washing up liquid can i store the wood in our bedroom ?

Your a lucky man :eek:

Elm, schmelm. That's sycamore. How on earth d'you get Elm from those obvious pieces of sycamore? Sheesh. :roll: It doesn't even look like the Elm in the link! ](*,)

Now one question. If Tom's had this log lying around for a year already, hasn't he rather missed the end-sealing boat? BTW folks, may I parade the "using old PVA glue to seal ends" tip again? Thank you; that was it. :wink:

Steve Maskery":3hm3ep8k said:
But then I've been wrong before. Once. I thought I'd made a mistake, but I hadn't.
ROTFL :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Not wishing to cause any problems here or anything, but I have to say that it looks too light for Elm, so my vote goes to Sycamore.

Creeps quietly away......

Another vote for sycamore - why not plane a bit for us Tom, and post a couple more pictures?

Adam

You don't get these problems with MDF
Tin+hat+smiley.gif

Gill (ducking! :D )

Latest posts

Back