What wood is this??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penllysbach

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been turning this piece but no idea what it is ... I have had it drying for around 18 months but no idea where I got it from!
Any thoughts pls? It is very fine when turned, and starts white but goes to pink. Pics in next post.
Thanks all

Pics of the wood

Attachments

• 20210402_134916.jpg
    20210402_134916.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210402_134543.jpg
    20210402_134543.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210402_134523.jpg
    20210402_134523.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210402_134504.jpg
    20210402_134504.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 71
It could be very old ash.....but not sure it’s olive ash....I must admit it looks like cherry but the bark is wrong.

I‘m sure it’s Ash, I’m turning some at the moment and it’s exactly the same as your picture, pink shavings and all. I helped cut the tree down which made it easier to identify.

29985AE8-3217-42C5-A859-7DD7C6A87EE5.jpeg
BEA667C9-7DA7-4541-B965-EB7BB75A9D24.jpeg
Plenty of ash around at the moment.....I use it...trees being felled in the cemetery where I volunteer on the landscaping.
I turn up ash figures and sell in the shop for source of income for the cemetery.

Ps... the smaller ones are elm and cedar

Yes.... loosing 80% of the landscape ....I have a choice of logs so usually go for the tight grain in middle ....around 5” diameter...bloody hard work moving logs around...lol....

Ps yes hats are separate..... and everyone is different /original

Can ash have bark like that? I'm not claiming any expertise here but the bark looks more like Oak although the wood obviously doesn't.

Yes.... loosing 80% of the landscape ....I have a choice of logs so usually go for the tight grain in middle ....around 5” diameter...bloody hard work moving logs around...lol....
Dam shame, I remember loosing the elms, we used to call them the Warwickshire weed as they were everywhere.

By the sounds of this wood if you don’t know then you have to speculate what it is ok the way you have explained it fist it’s white then turns pinkish or pinkish red. Ah that rings my bell to say something I got a box that I won on EBay a little while ago at first it was carved but didn’t have style to it so I thought of striping it well when I first put the stripper on and as the stripper started to work on the wood I thought it odd that it was turning pinkish red well to put it this way this wood is not of in this country guess where ? India and it’s sheeshum wood it turns pink when stripper is applied to it so that’s my thought I’m not saying but could be ok.?!😇

It's Ash. which turns pink when turned wet, but the pink doesn't persist, yes Ash can have deep fissured bark like that, Olive Ash is called thus because it resembles Olive wood and is a warm brown colour with often swirls and wild patterns in the grain (but it can be straight too) Olive Ash occurs as the heartwood in ordinary Ash trees, it isn't a separate timber type, just the name of the occurence, not every Ash tree will develop it. This though is just plain Ash.

This is an Olive Ash Pot
Sweetpot-4.png

This is an Olive Ash Box

oblique.png

This is an Olive Ash Bowl showing some plain Ash too.

olive-ash-fruit-2.jpg

This is Plain Ash.

Ash+Delicate-2.jpg

Olive Ash again showing some more extreme swirling grain.

Olive-Ash-Churn-2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back