What wood is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
I have obtained a few offcuts of this. No idea what it is:

8ce7a186b9d7c85445acc14c697bbcce.jpg
b2d27e01e0aeaba152ff8d34da732cd2.jpg
023d844b4206b3daec308b53dcc462bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Wasn't it called London Plane because it was one of the few trees that thrived in the smoggy London of the industrial revolution?

Could be evergreen or Holm oak , very dense , prone to radial splits , spalts quickly with soil contact along the rays which can be an attractive yellow , needs long and careful seasoning , turns well , treat as oak.

Hedjmunky":2oz1tamp said:
Could be evergreen or Holm oak , very dense , prone to radial splits , spalts quickly with soil contact along the rays which can be an attractive yellow , needs long and careful seasoning , turns well , treat as oak.

I had no idea - have loads of Holm oak around me. There is one just up the road that is claimed to be 3,000 years old. I keep threatening to cut it down to count the rings but the locals seem to be less enthusiastic to find out. Now I know how pretty it is, I will have to cut lumps off, just to play with.

London plane
_MG_7209.jpg

Holm oak
_MG_8352.jpg

My money's on London plane.

Attachments

• _MG_7209.jpg
    _MG_7209.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 156
  • _MG_8352.jpg
    _MG_8352.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 180
It looks a lot like the London plane bowl posted above, so I think that's what it is. Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Stigmorgan":3iptdhil said:
It's beautiful that's what it is. I love that lace like grain pattern

There is only one 'exotic' grain I like more than Lace-wood and that is Quilted Maple.

I lost an eBay auction for a 'Byrdland' Gibson, in Quilted Maple. Mind you I would have been afraid to play it for fear of damaging it! :mrgreen:

John (hammer)

Back