What wood is this and how best to finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Nako

Established Member
Reaction score
I rescued this garden table from a neighbour and I've started to sand it down.

Can anyone tell me what wood it is (I'm guessing Teak..?)

More importantly.. what's the best way to protect / finish ?

It will be outdoors in the spring / summer but under cover in the winter if that helps ?

Attachments

• Table 1.jpg
    Table 1.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Table 2.jpg
    Table 2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
As I understand it, some finishes are more appropriate on different types of wood - hence the request for ideas as to type.

My request was for recommendations - I'm very aware that there are many out there.

I can not recommend a particular brand as I dont live in the UK so have not used any of them. My point was to use an oil based outdoor furniture oil as they are the easiest to maintain. If you go for a varnish its a lot more work when it comes time to redo it. The oil finishes suit most woods and they pretty much all do the same job. Rread a few labels before making a choice. There are also water based oils (marketing knows no limits) but they will be as much work as a varnish. Tried it one time but never again.
Regards
John

Depends on how much it has aged and weathered and dried out surely?
So postulating something as simple as BLO, applied very sparingly, see how it soaks in(or not!) and reapply if necessary.
Or an Osmo product sold or rated for this application.
Marcus

I’d look for a specific outdoor furniture oil as suggested above.
It’ll probably be pretty thirsty for the first few coats

Well you could leave it to turn silver as Johnbs suggests, and it will.....but you are in the hot, sunny south where the sun will dry out the natural oils from the teak surface and this will produce surface cracking/crazing. For the teak to last longer paint it with teak oil ....leave it to soak in....wipe off the excess. In my experience you should not attract dirt, in fact the oil provides a more 'dirt free' surface than an unteated one.

Thank you everyone.

I'm pretty sure that it's Teak.

I've decided to give it a few coats of Teak oil. I understand that it'll need to be reapplied annually but I'm not a fan of the natural sliver weathering.

It's teak but probably a faster grown plantation stuff that's not of the best quality. Starbrite teak oil or teak sealer are both good, the sealer does not completely soak in so will leave a surface film ( like a varnish) which is not oily and won't collect dirt. The UV protection in these will keep the colour bright but does make them expensive.

Back