What wood for internal painted doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tierney

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to make some internal doors (3 over 3 panels) and was wondering what wood should I use? They will be spray painted; but, want to avoid knots without spending a lot of money.

The timber merchant I had in mind stocks:

Unsorted european redwood which they said will have knots
Southern Yellow Pine (which they said is cheapest after the redwood)
Douglas Fir
Hemlock
Radiata Pine
Siberian Larch

Ideally it will be relatively easy to use / have good working properties.

Thanks,

DT

If you are looking for something harder than Poplar/Tulip perhaps you might consider beech. If the panels are flat they could be mdf.

Thanks, I went with the tulip/poplar, I've always thought that Beech moved too much and one of the doors is for a bathroom. The panels will be ply.

Now that I've got my stack of tulipwood, I would like to know if it is ok to use the sapwood considering the doors will be indoors and painted?

DT

Unsorted european redwood. were i have got it from i can be very clean if you sort though it, but if your worried about the knots use the popular, but the southern yellow pine is bit more expensive but nice to work and its pretty knot free get the odd one or two

I did consider SYP; but, I think it was going to be more expensive and I had read about a lot of people using Poplar for painted furniture. Unfortunately my car doesn't carry much wood, and there is no timber yard within 15 miles, so it sort of ruled out sorting through redwood.

Sorry to ask the question again; but, can I use the sapwood if it is going to be painted?

DT

Tierney":140701cv said:
I did consider SYP; but, I think it was going to be more expensive and I had read about a lot of people using Poplar for painted furniture. Unfortunately my car doesn't carry much wood, and there is no timber yard within 15 miles, so it sort of ruled out sorting through redwood.

Sorry to ask the question again; but, can I use the sapwood if it is going to be painted?

DT

Yes it's fine to use any part of the wood. Great timber to work with.
Teckel

Another vote for Poplar/Tulip Wood, it was born for paint!

Take a look at some of the premium kitchen operations like Plain English, all the stiles and rails are Poplar (and all the paint is Farrow & Ball!).

I like Plain English kitchens. I'm going to be using paint by Paint and Paper Library. All this money I save* making things myself and my wife just spends it on more expensive paint!

DT
* well maybe not save anything after I buy some shiny things

Latest posts

Back