What wood for cheap benches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.pearson

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am having to move to a new workshop & will more than likely need to build a couple of benches just really for light work such as finishing, nothing to heavy & won't need any sort of clamping or vices.
Just wondering what people would generally use for something like that to keep the cost down, probably just going to store plastic boxes or things like the hoover under then so no need for draws or cupboards.

If aesthetics is not an issue, you can use anything really. Pallet wood, offcuts, mdf, mfc, kitchen worktops...
Maybe re-purpose some old kitchen cabinets....

My two assembly tables are just made from CLS and 18mm ply, triangles in the corners to stiffen them up/ stop racking. I almost use them as much as my proper bench. Ian

Check your local Ikea and DIY stores for free/cheap materials. My local Ikea regularly has sheet material from units which is always useful. I normally just use CLS and chipboard for working tables.

How about an old internal door as a top - Light and stiff.

Builders tend to use them to build up the sides if skips so nick them just to annoy them!!!

I'm only joking!!

Cheers James

I too am using an old fire door. I've had it for nearly 20yrs. Yesterday, I sanded down the top to give it some TLC and three coats of varnish!!

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_103107.jpg
    IMG_20211110_103107.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20211110_105437.jpg
    IMG_20211110_105437.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 59
I made a 3m long bench from CLS and a length of 40mm thick kitchen worktop I was gifted.
The shelf under is made from offcuts of chipboard flooring. Just used simple glued and screwed lap joints. Cost about £50 and the thing has ended up bomb proof.

Thanks for all the comments, as I suspected just about anything that gets the job done lol, I am not to worried about looks, it's a workshop & I just need it to be functional. Don't expect a lot of visitors so just me most of the time.

Back