What wood, any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Bray

Established Member
Reaction score
When I cleared out my garage about 20 years ago, I took down some roughsawn (band-saw marks both sides and one Waney edge) planks that had been being used as shelving. They have been at the back of the garage since that time and as I was looking for some wood to make another scroll saw puzzle for my grandson I thought I would see what lay under the grime and band-saw marks.

The largest plank was about 14" wide by 6ft long and just under 23mm thick. I cut off a bit large enough for my project (crosscut and squared up waney edge on the table saw) and hand planed both sides, initially with my scrub plane to get the surface uniform and then use my Veritas 4 1/2 to clean up the boards on both sides.

The wood is relatively soft in comparison to other hardwoods I have used (Oak, Iroko, Mahogany) but seems harder than pine. The wood planes nicely with the grain and leaves a beautiful silky smooth finish, but against the grain and when going through the table saw (in any direction) the finish leaves a lot to be desired. The wood also gives off a sweet almost fruity smell (can't describe it but nothing like pine) and is very dry (well it has been in a dry garage for decades).

The first image shows the back side of the wood and shows some tearout around areas of differing grain, as well as the shiny finish from a very thin cut with the plane. Second image shows the reason for the funny shape.

The dolphin is about 11" long and 6" wide and the board ended up 17mm thick.

AndyT":23kbs8cj said:
If it's also light in weight I think it might be a cedar.
Yes, it's not a dense wood, whilst i have not weighed it, I would suggest it may even be lighter than PAR pine for similar dimensions.

Cedar could be a possibility and might explain that whilst other wood in the garage has suffered from woodworm from time to time, this wood, stacked in a corner has absolutely no holes at all, in any of the boards.

Would there be an issue with using this for a childs puzzle if it is Cedar?

I'm no toxicologist but plenty of children have chewed cedarwood pencils and lived to tell the tale!

Thank you both, the smell is very pleasant, it does have a sort of incense smell about it, sort of a spicy fruity smell (mince pie mixture comes a bit to mind).

Perhaps I'll keep the rest of the boards for lining drawers.

I think the cedar they use for Pencils is Eastern Red Cedar, in which case i doubt that there will be a problem. Easter Red Cedar is also used for fipple blocks in Penny Whistles and Recorders - in direct contact with the mouth.
Just have to make sure it is Easter Red.

Looks like cedar of lebanon. The musky pong is a sign too. It varies - some people don't like it and compare it to horse p|ss.
If it's no use for anything else you can cut it into bits and use them in place of moth balls as an insect deterrent.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I cut out the dolphin this evening, the house smells great.

I did find it a bit brittle though and have broken a couple of bits, one was from the waste so no biggy, but the other was from the piece itself, thank goodness for CA. Not sure how well it will stand up to my 3 year old especially as it is quite difficult to put together (I have always thought myself good at puzzles, but I struggled with this one, particularly so when the wood was all sanded both sides and you cannot be sure which way up the piece should be).

I am thinking of painting it on one side to begin with, the colours would then help him put it together, and they could always be sanded off when he is older and wants a greater challenge. It does look nice just as wood though.

Back