What was your favorite sweets when you were a nipper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can remember Fry's 5 Boys and I immediately get a vivid picture of them. I can see the wrapper quite clearly. I'm in Edinburgh, so these boys got all the way up to Scotland too.
I don't know if it still is but Scotland was bit of a testing ground for new sweets. I used to work for a company that dealt with some of the biggest names in confectionery, especially chocolate, andwe'd see products distributed to Scotland months or even years afore thet went on release in the rest of the UK

Who remembers milk tray on a bar,with the orange cream which was actually orange. And the line barrel. Wonderful if only they made it now. It would be so popular

Nutty Bar

Attachments

• NUTTY.jpg
    NUTTY.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3
BAZOOKA JOE BUBBLE GUM - Then collect the little waxed coupons inside to get gifts (sea monkeys was a favorite) but they cost so many coupons it was cheaper (and better for you teeth) to save up and buy whatever it was.

Also loved the milk bottles - little white chewy things.

Who remembers milk tray on a bar,with the orange cream which was actually orange. And the line barrel. Wonderful if only they made it now. It would be so popular
I remember those, bit pricey but absolutely loved them.

The Five Boys certainly did, Gogsi - I was brought up in Stonehaven, near Aberdeen!
There was also a little corner shop near the primary school where the grocer even sold us big bags of his broken biscuits for an old penny.

I remember this from my childhood too - 1990's we had a sweet shop close by that had hundreds of jars of sweets where you could have a quarter of something nice.

I remember loving kayli - it was like a fizzy flavoured sugar.

We too used to use hard liquorice to eat it - the best was bassets hard liquorice sticks, you used to bite the end off, and use it like a shovel :p
What you mean Rorton when you wer a kid in 1990 you still are till your in your 50s you ask my wife (1990 s seems like yesterday)

BAZOOKA JOE BUBBLE GUM - Then collect the little waxed coupons inside to get gifts (sea monkeys was a favorite) but they cost so many coupons it was cheaper (and better for you teeth) to save up and buy whatever it was.

Also loved the milk bottles - little white chewy things.
Still sell them in asda in 3 bags for £1

The Five Boys certainly did, Gogsi - I was brought up in Stonehaven, near Aberdeen!
There was also a little corner shop near the primary school where the grocer even sold us big bags of his broken biscuits for an old penny.
It might be because they were made in Grimsby but we used to be able to buy tin boxes about a 10 inch cube with broken biscuits in – mainly custard creams. Ian

another favourite was coltsfoot rock, still love it but hard to find thesedays!

Lime barrel, oh yes, they were to die for. I also was a fan of the penny chews, blackjacks and fruit salads etc but does anyone remember the caramac bar? it was a teeny tiny chocolate bar with a red and silver wrapper and inside....soft, gooey toffee. I can taste it now as if it were yesterday!

Highland Toffee with picture of Highland cow on front - remember driving past field if Highland cows and my youngest daughter pointing them out as she and her sister were chewing a piece of toffee each. I said: "So it is. Bet you didn't know Highland Toffee is made out of their horns."
Few minutes later she threw up all over the back seat of the car..... I was only joking and trying to think of their teeth, I tried to tell my wife.

Spanish gold tobacco and mini cadburys chocolate dispensers and chocolate smokers kits (different times) at Christmas
I remember arguing with my kids about how big Mars bars used to be. Then I think it was on the Antiques Roadshow some guy had an old vending machine, like the ones on the tube. It still had the chocolate in it, and much to my delight showed that the old Mars bars were huge by comparison with the bite size things you get now.

Back