What was your favorite sweets when you were a nipper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does ice cream count? Dairy Queen has been around since I was little serving soft ice-cream and now much more. I loved chocolate dip cones and still do. Soft ice-cream cone dipped in heated chocolate. Perfect on a summer day. Strawberry Sundays were a close second.

Pete

We'd keep an ear cocked for the ice cream van (either Stop Me And Buy One or better still Mr Whippy). The default would be a jubbly or a rocket, but as a treat we would have a choc ice or a 99. Mum occasionally gave us money to get a block of raspberry ripple to take the sting out of tinned peaches for Sunday tea!

Used to love Fry's 5 Boys to see the chocolate faces with Desperation, Expectation, Realisation etc underneath.
Or one penny Nestle's Chocolate from ancient red slot machines on the railway platform!
And what happened to Tiffin bars?
Do you know? You are probably the first person that I have come across who remembers Fry's 5 Boys. There used to be a vending machine on our local station. I don't know if it was a West Country thing - what with Fry's being in Bristol - or whether it was available nationwide.

Back in the day just after the war we would buy a couple of ounces of something with a name like kayli. It was a sort of crystalline powder and we'd eat it using sticks of hard liquorice (sucking and dipping)
This was in Yorkshire, anyone remember it and the spelling?

Back in the day just after the war we would buy a couple of ounces of something with a name like kayli. It was a sort of crystalline powder and we'd eat it using sticks of hard liquorice (sucking and dipping)
Barrets Sherbet dip, is that what you're thinking of? We used to call it kayli as well

Barrets Sherbet dip, is that what you're thinking of? We used to call it kayli as well
It wasn't the same as sherbet dip as that seemed more powdery. Perhaps the local shopkeeper knocked up his own version.
We were so starved of sugar we would eat sweetened condensed milk until caught and I had a liking for toothpaste.
Anyone remember Dandelion and Burdock soft drink and Tizer?

I remember it very well, sent your mouth different colours – God knows what was in it. We used to pronounce it cailie as in Kay lee, we weren’t so far from Yorkshire on the Southbank of the Humber. Ian

Always liked a Bounty but back in the 70's someone started churning out a choccy bar called a "Cabana" that had coconut like the Bounty but with bits of cherry and I think also raisins in it and then covered on top with a layer of caramel and then wrapped in milk chocolate...yum. Not seen those for ages but loved em.
EDIT:
just found out I'm not alone in missing them..

Does ice cream count? Dairy Queen has been around since I was little serving soft ice-cream and now much more. I loved chocolate dip cones and still do. Soft ice-cream cone dipped in heated chocolate. Perfect on a summer day. Strawberry Sundays were a close second.

Pete
I so remember going to DQ for the chocolate kiddie cone when little. Lined across the parking lot on summer nights!

So did we! I remember sherbet dip but only now remember kayli. I grew up in Cheshire.

Ah but just read that it is different from sherbet which is soft whereas Kayli (still sold as Kali) is hard powdered crystal with a sharper taste.

Also we called all sweets toffees

Last edited:
Back