What was your favorite sweets when you were a nipper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is bringing back lots of memories, +1 for Tiger Nuts, Barley Twist and Rhubarb & Custard 😃

Never heard of tiger nuts.
I liked various gob stoppers, I ate loads of cola rola balls, silver ball bearing style sweets that left aluminium dust all over the inside of the paper bag, no wonder my memory is so bad.
The best gob stoppers were dinosour eggs, they were 10p each so could only afford one.

Sherbet lemons/strawberries (although after eating a few all you could taste was blood as they lacerated the inside of your mouth)
Pear drops
Strawberry bon bons
Tom Thumb drops (they always seemed to end up stuck together in one large mass together with the paper bag)
Aniseed twists

But my absolute favourites are Army & Navy

I can remember when fruit salads, blackjacks and rhubarb and custard were all four for a penny at the school tuckshop. Wagon wheels were fourpence, and they seemed to be as big as your head !

Yes, they used to be real wheel size not Dinky toy size as they now are!!

I remember twisting and sucking Barley Twists so that you got a point on them!

Phil

Can't understand all this modern problem with obesity when i was eating some of the sweets named here back in the 50s n60s there wernt many obese kids around I think it was cos we played out all the time and ran the calories off

That’s very true Bob, the only time I wasn’t running about was when I was sat in class but. We didn’t drink nearly as much fizzy pop, it was too expensive. I’m convinced that’s what’s doing it, they can call zero calorie but something in its doing it.
I went on a no alcohol thing for awhile and instead drank zero calorie lemonade, I put a huge amount of weight on and I’ve never had a problem with weight ever before. Obviously came to my senses and reverted to good habits and the weight came off again. Ian

That’s very true Bob, the only time I wasn’t running about was when I was sat in class but. We didn’t drink nearly as much fizzy pop, it was too expensive. I’m convinced that’s what’s doing it, they can call zero calorie but something in its doing it.
I went on a no alcohol thing for awhile and instead drank zero calorie lemonade, I put a huge amount of weight on and I’ve never had a problem with weight ever before. Obviously came to my senses and reverted to good habits and the weight came off again. Ian
not anymore it doesn't...I only have to look at a mars bar and my pants don't fit

Back