What unnecessary extra nice to have tool would you buy if you had £100 only.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
If you had a £100 VOUCHER to be spent on your woodturning hobby, but with the proviso that it had to be an item that you didn't need, but be a just nice to have item what would it be. It can anything, tools, accessories, equipment etc. But it must relate to woodturning.

Note, I don't have a voucher, just a hypothetical question as I was wondering what turners thought was nice to have, within a sensible price limit.

Last edited:
Just looking at some nice to haves, would like a full set of wedgies for segmented turning.
Or the totally unnecessary 25mm crown bowl gouge.

it is difficult to know without knowing what you have and what you like making. the segmented wedge parts would be useless to me (I dont like that type of construction), but I can see the attraction for others.

it is difficult to know without knowing what you have and what you like making. the segmented wedge parts would be useless to me (I dont like that type of construction), but I can see the attraction for others.
Hi Marcros,
I'm not looking for suggestions for me, just wondering what others would choose as a "nice to have, but maybe not a necessity".
Its a bit like "What's your dream turning related accessory" but with a fictitious £100 limit.

A spare chuck so I can keep my most used jaws on one permanently and use the second for the changes. Don't NEED it but it would be nice especially on those jobs that need a jaw change part way through, e. g. Standard and coles.

Where to start (and some would bust the budget!)

• Threading jig (Simon hope tool looks ace but there is something similar but not quite as refined for £100)
  • Thompson SRG (silly money but looks awesome!)
  • fluting jig
  • complete set of saburr 1/8” burrs
  • Stuart Batty handle system / bolsters for rest of my tools
  • airpress vacuum chuck bodies to replace my homemade ones
  • Place on on-line 1:1 course focusing on design - Pat Carrol, Molly Winton, Dixie Biggs, Cindy Drozder, Mike Hosaluk, Mark Sanger etc. All do really creative work (....and I know there are others, the list could go on!)
  • Selection of Razortip fixed tip pyro pens for more delicate work to complement larger / bulkier hand pieces I have with my burnmaster
  • small silent compressor with enough oomph to run my airbrush amd piercing tool so the workshop one does not kick in amd give me a jump just when I’m getting to the detailed bit!!
  • some ‘special’ timber

i could go on but that wI’ll use up 20x or 30x the original budget!!!! That said, the most scarce resource I have is time with work, family and other commitments that must come first so tbh I’d be quite happy with none of the above and just time to play!

looking forward to seeing others’ lists

simon

I’d like a diamond proedge belt, I certainly don’t need one nor would I spend my own money on one but if I had a voucher it would be nice to try one for myself.

In no particular order the items currently on my radar include the following,2 of which are under the budget and the others , as usual, aren't.
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.18.36.pngScreenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.15.08.pngScreenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.14.33.pngScreenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.59.32.png

• small silent compressor with enough oomph to run my airbrush amd piercing tool so the workshop one does not kick in amd give me a jump just when I’m getting to the detailed bit!!
That one's almost easy :D
2021-03-05-12.22.13a.jpg

It's this one and it's soooooo quiet compared to both the old 6L one I had which now fills the tank then dumps all pressure through a valve I can't see (and I know not enough to fix an air compressor) and the lidl one I was using as a stopgap:

I think though, if I was going to spend <100 on something "fun", maybe an eccentric chuck? The axminster one or the sorby one? Might be fun to play with (and you could do multi-axis turning without one, yeah, but the whole tower-of-coins thing would be more difficult).

Latest posts

Back