What type of wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Need to make a new side gate on the house, approximate dimensions are 6' x 3 1/2' but I'm not to sure what to make if from. Any good suggestions?

Hi Waka,

I'm with Chris - my first choice would be oak, will last forever.............

............unless white van man comes along. He came to my house a few days ago, not delivering to me, just lost. I heard the crash as he wrecked one of my (very old) oak front gates, and the post, trying to reverse into my driveway. :cry: The gates were open but he missed the driveway by about 3 feet! :roll:

Briefly, but only briefly, thought about making a new pair. Then quick call to insurance company - "No problem. We will deal with that for you against the third party. Our repair company will contact you within 48 hours." And they did. Replacement pair of gates to be hand made in oak, to match existing pattern, and installed - estimated cost in excess of £3,000. :shock: :shock: :D

Cheers,

Trev.

I also think oak is a good choice.

Trev said:
- estimated cost in excess of £3,000.
I don't know what kind of gates you have but it makes me think that I may be in the wrong business (that is if I had a business) :evil:

Travis

Hi Travis,

I was amazed too. The driveway entrance is only about 9 feet wide, so a pair of gates to fit that, and about 3 feet high. Part close-boarded and of an individual pattern.

I have done a bit of surfing and found ready-made oak gates about that size retailing for similar sort of prices! The mind boggles. :shock:

Wrong business .............. well..............??? I might even have to think of coming out of retirement! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

That probably depends on what you are looking for in terms of longevity and strength, Alan. If you want it to remain strong and last for ever, oak would probably be best of all, but for most typical applications it would likely be a bit OTT.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Alan,

Cedar would be fine - naturally long-lasting qualities, attractive reddish colour, and much easier to put together. For a gate I would definitely be considering oak, but for a garden trellis cedar would be my preference. (Sorry, I should have mentioned this before - if only I had got my brain into gear. :oops: ). Another option would be a softwood, treated with a timber preservative, but that would be relatively short-lived. The problem here being that once the trellis is covered with plant growth, further preservative treatment is usually out of the question, so the rot can soon set it.

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks Trevor,

From memory my local supplier sells 1/2 dozen different types of cedar, is there one in particular I should look for?

Cheers

Alan

Back