What type of wood is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keruing is my first thought.
Not in my book! The only Keruing I've handled was a much darker brown, little 'redish' tint at all. The OP hasn't said what sort of weight (density) or how physically 'hard' it is. If it is light and softish then my bet is on Sapele/Utile.

I've just checked the one offcut of meranti that I have. I dont think yours is meranti, but its close. The end grain on mine is very dense compared to your pic, but the colour is right.

Oh that's really interesting. It has a very spicy smell, it would not go amiss in a tagine

What exactly does it smell like? As AJB, Ollie and Robin said the Mahogany-alike timbers such as Sapele, Meranti, Utile and Keruing have quite a similar cinnamon/spice smell to them which can smell rather nice or it can be quite irritable.

Kapur on the other hand has a very aromatic and fragrant smell, the latin name is "Dryobalanops aromatica" and was a very early source of Camphor. It's not a terribly common timber in the UK but you can get it commercially.

I would say with my limited knowledge it a medium density would on the softer side, very easy to plane
Not in my book! The only Keruing I've handled was a much darker brown, little 'redish' tint at all. The OP hasn't said what sort of weight (density) or how physically 'hard' it is. If it is light and softish then my bet is on Sapele/Utile.

It looks like ordinary Luan or Philipine mahogany to me, related to Meranti but softer.
Doesnt look like Kapur to me, ihad a quantity of that years ago, It came from Southend Pier workshops & was used for decking on the pier. Kapur has a pink colour but is hard as hades & has a distinct silky shiny look when its planed, plus the strong smell of camphor.

Back