What type of wood is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuttySark

Reaction score
Hello everyone 1st post and brand new to woodworking. Picked up some of this wood at the wood recycling centre. What wood is this? It smells really nice when sawn into.

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_165245.jpg
    IMG_20200923_165245.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20200923_165231.jpg
    IMG_20200923_165231.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 212
Cut him some slack blister, first post, youll scare him off. :cool:
Welcome cutty sark. There might be a sensible answer coming along soon. From my very limited experience, I would consider meranti. If it is, be careful of irritation from the dust.
Oh, and this is a moderated forum, so any nasty stuff needs to be reported, whichever direction it comes from. (y)

Welcome to the forum CuttySark. Not sure myself on the wood type but do you have any other context for the wood beyond where you got it from?

May first thought was Sapele, which comes in a lot of shades and had that open pore, sightly rough, look. It can be quite fragrant - a bit like cedar.

I think Meranti, doesn`t look dense or dark enough for Sapele or Utile but it could be the softer outside bits I suppose.
Could be red grandis maybe (A type of Eucalyptus ).
Easier to tell if you can smell the sawdust.

Welcome cutty sark. There might be a sensible answer coming along soon. From my very limited experience, I would consider meranti. If it is, be careful of irritation from the dust.
Oh, and this is a moderated forum, so any nasty stuff needs to be reported, whichever direction it comes from. (y)
Power gone to your head already?

What exactly does it smell like? As AJB, Ollie and Robin said the Mahogany-alike timbers such as Sapele, Meranti, Utile and Keruing have quite a similar cinnamon/spice smell to them which can smell rather nice or it can be quite irritable.

Kapur on the other hand has a very aromatic and fragrant smell, the latin name is "Dryobalanops aromatica" and was a very early source of Camphor. It's not a terribly common timber in the UK but you can get it commercially.

Sapele smells mostly like spiced parsnips to me, end grain shavings are especially fragrant,
Keruing also has a strong spice fragrence without working it atall.

The rest of the tropicals are spicy, but that is only when cutting, Irritable is a good word for it.
Not noticeable or identifiable with a shaving or two to my nose.

Thanks for your suggestion Trevanion
I think I may have some of that stuff, quite stringy when wet if it is.
I must give it a smell check again

Cheers
Tom

Sorry , I will switch of my sense of humor :(

Blister, my message seems to have been misinterpreted. The relaxed emoji and the thumbs up were meant to imply a smile on my face when I wrote it in a light hearted way.
A sense of humour is a pre-requisite of being here, it was just that it was his first post and newbies sometimes get scared really easily.

Back