What type of sander is best for my use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouser

Reaction score
Hello

I am beginning to play with reclaimed timber (scaffold boards) I have bought a belt sander but want to get a sander that will give a better finish before finishing.

I see most of my work being flat areas, shelves, table tops etc. so what type of sander would be best for me please. I was thinking of random orbital, but to be honest, Im a little clueless :)

Thanks

I cannot imagine you getting many answers different from - Random Orbit Sander.

It was a real eye opener when I first tried one, I rarely use any other sander now, occasionally a detail sander for detail work, or a belt sander if removing masses of material, but otherwise it is always a ROS.

But which one to buy.........now that is a can of worms. If you've got £300 quid for a sander then most folk rate the Mirka Ceros. Me? I got a Festool ETS 150 off of ebay, and to be honest I use the Makita just as much.

Neil

I think it has to be the random orbit. mine is an old black and decker that would have cost only a few quid ( cannot remember how much now ) but it works great.

Only things that pussle me is
1... You dont seem to find RO sanders with proper extractor fittings.
2... You can only get sanding pads down to 240 grit. If you want 400 or something like that you have to make them.

Thanks lads

It will be a cheap and cheerful sander from Toolstation or screwfix (after looking on ebay). Im new to making my own bits and am using reclaimed timber. I will upgrade when my skills do :)

Grahamshed":35z2mq9l said:
I think it has to be the random orbit. mine is an old black and decker that would have cost only a few quid ( cannot remember how much now ) but it works great.

Only things that pussle me is
1... You dont seem to find RO sanders with proper extractor fittings.
2... You can only get sanding pads down to 240 grit. If you want 400 or something like that you have to make them.

My basic Axy has extaction for a 27mm as do most other ROS' on the market:

Cyclones.jpg

And high grit sanding pads 80-400 grit also from Axy:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/hermes-herme ... rod655748/

And some 800 grit polishing pads:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/hermes-herme ... rod656057/

What size is your sander? I often use the wrong size discs on my sander to no ill effect if you can't find the right size.

I will certainly check with Axi. All the ones I have seen go to wierd shaped bags or boxes, usually on squarish fittings.

Grahamshed":lg27onqy said:
I will certainly check with Axi. All the ones I have seen go to wierd shaped bags or boxes, usually on squarish fittings.

Mine has a squarish box on the back with a filter in, but if you unclip it and pull it off, it has a round tube inside to attach an extractor to.

Which is pretty useless to me as neither my extractor nor vacuum actually fit the tube, but it's there!

It does seem odd that the fine dust produced by these is the most dangerous but they don't have easy to use extractor fittings.

I suspect that all the big name ones do it to encourage you to use their extractors which presumably have a suitable fitting.

I think every ROS that I have seen has a round extraction port on the back, all you will have to do is get a reducer/ adaptor to fit. And you can get any grit you would need for a ROS. Car bodyshops will supply higher grades cheaper need be. But I doubt you'll want anything finer than 120 seeing as you are using reclaimed scaf boards.

The Metabo SXE450 is the go-to model on this forum, worth the money as they are pretty much bomb proof. Mine's never missed a beat.

Good luck with it. _Dan.

Back