What type of hinge is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

city17

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm designing a cabinet and came across these hinges in a video:

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-03 om 12.45.49.png

Does anyone know what type of hinges these are exactly? I've seen some similar ones but in a very small version (also usually made of brass) used for boxes.

Also was wondering how sturdy these are for cabinet (doors will be about 50cm x 40cm plywood)?

Häfele concealed hinge.

Technical specs here. Load bearing capacity listed as up to 12 kg, so plenty of slack I'd say given how small you say your doors are which I'd guess come in at about 2+kg. Slainte.

apic-04105457.jpg

Thanks, that's exactly it! Seems a bit more expensive than I expected though, can only find one seller here in NL for €73 for a single set. Is that comparable to what you're paying in the UK?

Thanks, that's exactly it! Seems a bit more expensive than I expected though, can only find one seller here in NL for €73 for a single set. Is that comparable to what you're paying in the UK?
Almost exactly the same price as I could buy it from Hafele UK and i have a direct account with them....

Almost exactly the same price as I could buy it from Hafele UK and i have a direct account with them....
Thanks. Will have to think about it a bit, this is maybe 5 to 10 times as expensive as normal Blum hinges with tip on... They do look really nice though.

Hi, I'm designing a cabinet and came across these hinges in a video:

View attachment 139059
Does anyone know what type of hinges these are exactly? I've seen some similar ones but in a very small version (also usually made of brass) used for boxes.

Also was wondering how sturdy these are for cabinet (doors will be about 50cm x 40cm plywood)?
A very complicated one!!

Follow up question: How would you rout/drill these holes required for this hinge?

Cabinet (about 40mm deep):

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-09 om 11.37.20.png

Door (about 15mm deep)
Schermafbeelding 2022-07-09 om 11.36.49.png

Particularly the cabinet top one seems tricky as it's quite deep. Balancing a router on that thin edge, making a deep cut and remaining perpendicular seems very tricky.

I did a few test cuts on a small piece with my drill press (and then chiselling out the waste) which worked out surprisingly well, but I have no way of mounting that plywood panel vertically underneath my drill press.
IMG_1760.JPG

Any suggestions as to what the best way would be to create these recesses? Thanks!

Follow up question: How would you rout/drill these holes required for this hinge?

Any suggestions as to what the best way would be to create these recesses? Thanks!
To run a plunge router base successfully on that narrow edge one good method is to both widen and lengthen the edge using a long block of squared wood attached to the panel face. Clamping the block would work, but the clamps might get in the way of the router, so you'll need a way of clamping whilst ensuring they don't get in the way. You will also need to support the base of the router beyond the corner of the panel because the slot ends very close to that point.

Here's what you can do, and adjust the following measurements to suit. Machine up a block of wood, say 300 - 350 mm long X ~45 wide X ±20 thick. Cut a piece of 6 - 9 mm thick plywood 200 - 250 mm X ~400 mm. Attach with screws (no glue) the 200 - 250 mm long face of this ply to the ±20 mm thick edge of the block of wood with the 400 mm long edge of the ply flush with the end of the block of wood. Now you can clamp the plywood firmly to the panel you want to work on with the block of wood flush with the panel edge, and also overhanging at the end by about 100 mm. This will support your router base, and you can disassemble your support block and plywood and reassemble it in reverse order to work on slots that are mirror images of each other.

Ideally, you would set up your router with two side fences for additional stability, one either side of the panel edge you're working on.

As for the recess in the flat panel, you could make up an L shaped slot in a piece of 9 - 12 mm MDF and use a guide bush plus an appropriately sized router cutter - you'd just need to be careful about stopping and starting, how deep you plunge and where, and so on. Slainte.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back