What tools would I need to create this ridge ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archiethere

Reaction score
Hi I’m looking to create something similar to this piece of wood to store vinyl records on. I’d like to know the most cost effective tools I could use in order to create a similar effect.

Attachments

• 7B84B65F-4AA8-4390-BFAE-E15F6446A95B.jpeg
    7B84B65F-4AA8-4390-BFAE-E15F6446A95B.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 499
I would say something like a Record No. 044 Plough plane would probably be the most cost effective whilst also not taking forever to do the task.

[youtube]Vr5eIClEsjw[/youtube]

Definitely much quieter and safer than a power router for the beginner!

Really? I stored records like this for years without issues although they do have a tendency to warp. You must be getting into your music more than me and jumping around a bit more!

Phil is so old that he's talking about bakelite 78 rpm discs.
Once the edges broke on them you could soak them in hot water and make flower pots and ash trays from them.
Vinyl records wont break, but they will warp. Anyone storing records upright in a groove is asking to have a completely useless collection after the first hot day of summer, or within 6 months if kept in a cold room.
Vinyl LP's should be stored vertical, between full sized edge walls, and under just enough pressure to keep them completely vertical.

May be worth asking locally if someone with a router or router table would do the job for you, most woody`s are a helpful bunch, then you could supply a few beer tokens and save buying a one off use tool.

phil.p":3te8eb6x said:
A couple of passes on a bench saw would be easier again.

Not for a beginner, the loss of a couple of fingers is not a good option, riving knife removal???????????

Best advice above, find someone local with a router table to do it for you, beer tokens are always appreciated.

Latest posts

Back