What tool to cut tiles insitu?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flh801978

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a job to fit a thermostatic mixing valve to a false wall where there is at the moment an electric shower.
I have no spare tiles
What should I use to cut the opening for the mixer valve with the best chance of success of not breaking tiles?

I seem to remember seeing a tool called a rotazip ,i think which looks like a router.can I use my router with a ? bit/raspy

Ian

The Rotazip or a Dremel with tile cutting attachment only work on ceramic tiles eg ones with a relatively soft back and a glazed front. They won't work on porcelain so it will depend on the type of tile you have.

A continuous edged diamond disc in a 4 1/2" angle grinder works but the dust can be a problem, I've certainly done it that way in the past.

If the tile is relatively thin then parrot beak tile nippers can be used, again I have done it that way.

The Fien or Bosch multi tools would be another option as would stitch drilling with a diamond coated holesaw.

Jason

I had to do something similar of the Xmas holiday - remove a surface mount mixer valve and replace with one that was half recessed in a stud wall. I used a masonry drill bit drilling 8mm holes all the way round and it went very well! The holes required was just shy of 6" in diameter.

That was with ceramic tiles.

Dibs

Back