Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

WHAT TOOL SHOULD I USE ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Heather

Reaction score
What tool can I use to make circular pieces of wood approximately 20cm in diameter ?

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
How many and how accurate do they need to be?

What thickness material is ir?

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Its a big holesaw though. Personally, I would probably look at using a jigsaw/bandsaw to get rough sizes and a router and jig to finish them.

Or a bandsaw and jig from the outset.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Use a router and trammel bar to make the initial 200mm template, then use a router and bearing guided cutter to make future copies - using double sided tape to stick the template to the workpiece.

Cheers

Karl

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
Coping saw. You can get a fairly good one for about £12 brand new (mine's by Sandvik, never had a problem with it). Buy a packet of spare blades at the same time - the Eclipse ones are good.

To tidy up after cutting, coarse sandpaper wrapped round a small wooden block will do, but a rasp or coarse file will be quicker. Then finish with fine sandpaper.

Heather

Reaction score
I am new to this Forum. If someone can advise how I post a photo, I will do so to give you all a better idea of our finished product

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
it is quite easy- use the full editor to post a reply to the thread (below the quick reply section). YOu then browse for the file, add to upload and post the reply. I think.

Tony Spear

Established Member
Reaction score
deserter":3iqa1l20 said:
If your not worried about a hole through the middle a hole saw would work
A 200mm. hole saw? Now that I'd like to see!

I'd also like to see a windchime with 200 x 25 mm discs!

lincs1963

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a 225mm holesaw for drilling vents through timber framing on apartment blocks for balancing vents. I suspect that the 200mm x 20mm discs are to hang the chimes on!

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Karl":2mnkk6qj said:
Use a router and trammel bar to make the initial 200mm template, then use a router and bearing guided cutter to make future copies - using double sided tape to stick the template to the workpiece.

Cheers

Karl
+1 to Karls method

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony Spear":3kzn9cya said:
deserter":3kzn9cya said:
If your not worried about a hole through the middle a hole saw would work
A 200mm. hole saw? Now that I'd like to see!

I'd also like to see a windchime with 200 x 25 mm discs!
Sorry was eating lunch at work at the time and obviously didn't read properly thought it said 20mm a 200 saw would be a beast I bet

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Bearing in mind that this is the Handtools section, a coping saw followed by rasps and sandpaper would be the least tiring option. But you could also use an ordinary saw to cut a square, cut off the corners, leaving an octagon, then use a good sharp chisel to pare off the remaining corners. Work downwards onto a piece of scrap on the bench. Keep on cutting until your cuts are tangents to the circle required.

A cooper would have used a bowsaw followed by a drawknife to make the circular tops and bottoms for barrels, which is a similar sort of job, but generally on a larger scale.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
absolutely - the fastest hand-tool way I imagine would be bowsaw (accurate and close to the line, saving a lot of effort after), then drawknife or maybe rasps etc.
But if you are in production and making numbers of these, you must surely have a bandsaw? Any smaller bench-top would knock these out with a suitable simple jig in about a minute each (from rough oversize blanks, any reasonable shape).
If you preferred the electric way, a disc sander to finish the edges (jig again to keep centre). It isn't the kind of piece where hand-tool skills are going to show up in the end piece (unless you mess it up :lol: ). The electric way does make dust and noise of course.