What tool(s) would you buy for £200?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would advise forgetting about your birthday. Keep the cash on hand to use on something that you find you really need. You may find that one of your existing tools does not perform to your satisfaction on your next project, in which case, sell it and you may have £300 to spend.
Brian

You look to have quite a number of powertools , so I wonder if some good quality core handtools would be a nice complement to do the fine finishing.
Spend most of the money on a good #5 jack sized handplane, or a set of the new Narex Richter chisels ( far nicer handles than their other chisels and a friend of mine was recently raving about their edge holding). Spend the balance if any on some some cabinet scrapers or a #80 style scraper plane and you'll have an alternative to sanded / painted finishes.

For a birthday treat, I would be biassed to one or few + good tools that will last rather than a budget machine or powertol that I'm likely to grow out of and end up replacing.

The question implies you don't actually need anything, in which case I would suggest you treat yourself. Buy a beautiful handmade square that you'll touch and appreciate every day..

I have a couple of hundred pounds to spend on a birthday present for myself, not a huge workshop. A full-sized lathe won't fit easily

What tool or tools have you bought yourself that you used all the time or gave you particular satisfaction?

I already have a drill/driver, impact driver, table saw (rescued from the tip), jigsaw, mitre saw, router & home-made router table, cheapo pillar drill, 3D printer, cheapo bandsaw, multi tool, pocket hole jig, I was looking at the mini circular saws (Worx etc) planers, sanders, lathes, and various gadgets

Thanks
I would go for the Worx mini circular saw. I bought one a few months ago specifically to cut all the plywood for restoring my camper van and it has amazed me how versatile and useful it is .i've ripped many expensive 2440x1220 Maple faced furniture boards at 3.6mm 9mm and 12mm thicknesses and the edges were perfect !. not a single chip anywhere in several hundred cuts.

Its light weight and powerful and perfect for all those awkward cuts especially where you have limited space to position large sheets in a small shed. You'll need to buy a 85mm x 80T blade for fine work as the 3x disks that come with it are not terribly useful .

The only downside is i thought that initially I found the safety switch and trigger switch a little awkward but once you get used to them they are fine WORX WX423 85mm 400W Compact Circular Saw Worxsaw | eBay

You've definitely got to get something that you would never think of buying but only as a treat.
Router table or drum sander.
But my only advice definitely not a thicknesser for £200, I done that once and sent it back a few weeks later.. Lol..

I discovered PayPal Credit 🤫

Someting that is rarely mentioned is buying duplicates. I have 3 sliding bevels and recently I used all of them and could have used 3 more. Same with marking gauges: sometimes it is good to have duplicates so you can keep gauges set until you are sure you won't need that setting again. Maybe the duplicates don't have to be the best quality as you won't use them often, so you can get a lot for little money.

I have a couple of hundred pounds to spend on a birthday present for myself, not a huge workshop. A full-sized lathe won't fit easily

What tool or tools have you bought yourself that you used all the time or gave you particular satisfaction?

I already have a drill/driver, impact driver, table saw (rescued from the tip), jigsaw, mitre saw, router & home-made router table, cheapo pillar drill, 3D printer, cheapo bandsaw, multi tool, pocket hole jig, I was looking at the mini circular saws (Worx etc) planers, sanders, lathes, and various gadgets

Thanks
A planer /thicknesses.

For my 40th which yes was many years ago I was bought a Lie Nielsen block plane, it’s still my only Lie Nielsen plane not only is it a treat to use but because my wife bought it has special significance.
I’d suggest you treat yourself to something like my plane, something you’ll use but also something you’ll treasure.

as you have power tools, I would suggest you buy decent extraction.

I needed a new set of handtools when I was in the States last year, I ordered just a very basic set from Axminster including delivery I seem to remember it was about £150, tenon saw, marking gauge, try square, marking knife, Engineers spike, nail punch, nice wooden handled screwdriver, one of those really good Japanese adjustable bevels, a mallet and a pin hammer. I already had the chisels and a number 4 plane. Then I fitted them all into a wooden rack to carry into the house for safety and warmth.
rope handle not fitted at this point.

You'd be lucky to get it for £150 now. Their cheapest try-square is close to 65 quid on its own*

Correction, their search sucks.

Some of the tools that give me greatest pleasure in using are really good quality marking out and measuring tools. Things like squares and rules and straight edges etc. Take a look at the selection in Workshop Heaven and the Mirock Square for sale on Etsy. For sure you can get very reasonable tools to do exactly the same job for half the money but there's something about using a top end bit of kit that brngs some extra pride and quality to your work.

As others have said - you don't need to rush out and buy tools - the cash wont disappear (unless you fritter it away) - one day you'll think aha (light bulb moment) - I know what I need to do that job and there is the cash tucked away to make that purchase.
Don't rush.

For my 40th which yes was many years ago I was bought a Lie Nielsen block plane, it’s still my only Lie Nielsen plane not only is it a treat to use but because my wife bought it has special significance.
I’d suggest you treat yourself to something like my plane, something you’ll use but also something you’ll treasure.
Totally agree, I bought a beautiful LN Skewed Block Plane and it's my favourite, closely followed by a LN Low Angle I bought for a bargain price in the US. Lie Nielsen Low Angle Skew Block Plane with Nicker (Right Handed)

If you are asking it's not the time to buy.
When you get to the point you need the tools; you will know what to buy.
Before that, save your money.
If you do know what you need, take your time and buy quality tools second hand at the right price. Machinery or chisels etc. Unless you have money to burn there is a glass ceiling on quality. The most expensive Blue Spruce chisels won't make you a better woodworker as beautiful as they are. But you can buy an old industrial quality pillar drill that would have cost 5 grand in the day for £150 .

In the meantime look for a decent used combination square and buy a cheap but quality steel rule by Shinwa or similar and one of these TyzackTools.com. Veritas Ruler Stop
(or similar brand) to satisfy the urge. Some decent pencils also help! Enjoy yourself and try to save your money.

It’s your birthday, treat yourself to a Robert Sorby framing slick. You may not use it very often but you will get a nice warm feeling every time you pick it up.

Back