What to use for a new router base?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Derr

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make a larger base for one of my 1/4'' trimming routers, I keep one just for rounding over and sometimes find the factory base a little small and want to add a larger one to guarantee keeping it properly upright - I saw something on a youtube video that was the same size as the original but extended to one side only, it is this extended side that runs on the work piece.

Is something like this suitable and in what thickness?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RuudraScott-Cl ... 53&sr=8-11

I have got a couple both made out of off cuts of ply.

The problem with Perspex is that it might shatter. I think you need polycarbonate if you want something clear, can someone else confirm?

Must agree polycarbonate is the way to go. Have gone down that route myself. It’s perfect to make guards on the router table too. Saw on excellent example on a FWW video. Assists in keeping a top down view. Not a eye protection replacement.

I'd use Tufnol or alternative SRBP as well Bill unless you want a see through base. Try Amari Plastics as probably a branch near you or have a word with the works dept of your local authority as they skip the poly in bus shelters once it gets badly marked, otherwise ebay.

If you want a cheap solution look round the cheap shops for a 6mm nylon type cutting board as they're only about a quid. Could even get one in yellow or bright pink if so inclined. :wink: :lol:

Latest posts

Back