What to read

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a good book that deserves study if you are a serious student of cabinet construction. The joinery needs some effort to work out but once you have the code cracked, you also have some super additions to your repertoire.

Thanks Chris . I have just finished Ernest Joyce's book and am now looking for more in the same vein

Chris":1sczt9py said:
The joinery needs some effort to work out but once you have the code cracked............

Is that because of the way its written/ described or because of the designs themselves?

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

There are in fact scale drawings for each piece that show parts of the piece in question. The trouble is that it is not always obvious (to me at least) which part of the item of furniture is being shown. There is also, at times, what appears to be a baffling (unnecessary?) complexity to the parts.

I think it shares something in common with Moser's Measured Shop drawings inasmuch the furniture is made according to a "house style" that the companies (Moser and Karg) have developed over the years such that they always or generally approach certain features in the same way. You need to look at quite a few of the pieces of furniture to appreciate the methodology used in the entire piece. However, once you start to grasp this, then you have the benefits for your repertoire as I said.

This is my favourite woodworking book - absolutely inspirational. Chris, do you have Karg's other book, 'Modern Cabinetmaking in Solid Wood'? It is out of print and quite difficult (and expensive) to get hold of, and I'm worried that it may be just a rehash of the same stuff that is in the book I have already...

Neil

Latest posts

Back