what to put saw on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doddy555

Established Member
Reaction score
hi please dont laugh i well new to this, my scroll saw is on its way Axminster Saws (the AWVFS).i have a problem i havent anything to put it on suggestions please, oh not got lot of money :( thanks tracey

Hi Tracey.

Ideally the scroll saw needs to go either on a bench or a stand. for some scroll saws there is a purpose made stand. Axminster do a stand that is not to expensive and if you were to go for this option you would need some additional weight. Some people use a paving slab to go on the shelf and a piece of kitchen worktop as a base for the saw which should be bolted down to avoid undue vibration. When I started in scroll sawing I had mine on an old kitchen table and then made a bench as I have two scroll saws on the go. whatever option you go for make sure it is bolted down. If you have to wit till you can afford either then use some clamps to hold it on whatever surface you use, it is so easy to start cutting something and not realise the saw is working its way to the edge and then disaster as it falls over. U rubber mat will help if this is placed under the saw. Hope this helps.

aww thanks it has helped, i have a computer stand maybe i could put it on that ? with paving stone on bottom ? i did look at the stand for the saw an decided not to bother cos of bad reveiew wish i had now ,,,, thanks again tracey

Hi Tracey , Try your computer stand ,but if it has casters or any sort of wheels ,
remove them ,so that it sits solidly on the floor ,
A paving slab or two will be good , you could olso put the saw on a slab too , won't do any harm , i have hy Delta on a slab , it just sits there and dosen't move at all.
Hope this helps ---------------------Frank---------------- :)

aww thanks frank
it helps so much i will remove wheels, will post when i have set it up,,,, then put it on ebay to sell cos i cant do it lol hope not
take care frank
tracey

Off cause you can do it Tracey , :D have faith :wink: :wink:
any way if the first one goes wrong , you don't -HAVE -to tell anyone , just hide it :D :D
good luck --Frank--------

aww thanks frank its come today need to get some clamps an work top for it to go on, cant wait to have a go

Well done Tracey. So pleased for you, it is a wonderful thing to create something on the scroll saw. There is no rush, take your time and think everything through. The blades that come with the machine are usually rubbish. You can get the best blades from Mikes workshop and they will take four or five days to come from America, in the mean time get some scroll reverse blades from Hobbies, the ones in the yellow packets. If I were you I would get number 3s, 5, and 7s, you only need a dozen of each, There is quite a bit to learn but we are always here to help you. As Frank says Tracey, have faith. Start with a speed somewhere in the mid range and see how it goes, don't push the wood, let the blade do the work, start off with thin material like ply or thin pine. Draw some lines on the wood and just spend time following the lines, then draw some more with sharp turns and corners, within a day or two you will start to pick it up. Just take your time and come back if you have any problems.

Geoff.

aw thanks geoff
its great how helpful people are on here, i will do what everyone has told me, and take my time , how do i order and what do i order from mikes work shop ?
tracey

Hi Tracey.

Blades can be confusing as there are so many available now but it is really quite simple. If you order from Mikes workshop (just type Mikes workshop into the search engine) I would go for what is called Ultra Reverse blades and maybe just order number 5s and 7s. When you have gained experience you may want to go finer to a number 3 or 1 blade. If you order from Hobbies order the scroll reverse blades in the same numbers, they have a good web site and like Mikes you can order on line. Mike does a selection pack but i would not order this. He sells the Flying Dutchman blades and like many other scroll saw users I feel they are the finest blades in the world, use one of the blades that came with the machine and then use one of Mikes, you wont believe the difference. Come back if you have any more questions.

Geoff.

Back