What to make with your kids now schools are shut.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
My oldest son is in his first year of comprehensive school (Y7)

We have been given plenty of work from both schools for both kids to get on with whilst schools are shut but the DT (design/technology) teacher has asked my oldest son to make some projects whilst off school.

Now, making stuff is easy. Thinking of what to make proves a bit harder.

Last term we made a castle with working drawbridge and drop gate which is still on display at school.

What’s worth making without boring a 12 year old after 6 minutes? :roll:

I am a DT teacher. A common dt project is automata. Ive done it a lot.
A wooden frame with a shaft with cams on it to make various things move up and down. Look at different cam profiles etc. A good website to look at it is www.technologystudent. look for mechanisms on the home page.

I can think of plenty of things ...... but some might call it exploitation :wink:

More suitable for younger kids, but I made these with my niece and nephew ages 2 to 7

Attachments

• F3C49F3A-03D9-40A4-81D3-13A01E0B4B89.jpeg
    F3C49F3A-03D9-40A4-81D3-13A01E0B4B89.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 334
What’s worth making without boring a 12 year old after 6 minutes? :roll:[/quote]

What is he interested in?

If he has a phone / tablet there are lots of projects for those.

Stands and charging stations - even wooden speakers!

How about table football? Simple open topped box and ten some players on dowels. At least it will get used afterwards.

Yesterday was tie-dyeing day. We have also been cooking a lot. Gardening, finding a leak in a pond, general exploitation, really.
giphy.gif

Raymond UK":14xl7ses said:
Yeah plenty of todo stuff we've found. I need some projects for the kids whilst they're not learning at school.

Plant a victory garden?
dig-for-victory-english-school.jpg

Kids seem to spend endless hours watching maker stuff on YouTube - get them to pick one, and then make it happen. Drawing, making clothes, making explosions (being gender specific is probably illegal, but boys like blowing stuff up and girls like organising things), making slime (our house has been full of pots of slime for years) - all sorts of things. https://m.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... s+projects Get your kids to pick the project, make sure you have the materials to hand, and "how hard could it be?" Expect many tears, recriminations, and failures. Perfect life lessons.

Good luck!

First thing my son made age 4 was a boot jack. Very rough and ready but all his own work. Not suggesting that for a Yr 7, but his motivation was it was birthday present for his mum who struggled to get her wellies off. Still use it 20 years on.

So maybe, 2 birds one stone, think of things he can make for someone to cheer them up and more importantly give him a focus, target date e. g. Egg stand as Easter gift, and an incentive to get the finish really good. Less likely to end up with half finished abandoned projects.

No harm in a few repair and maintenance jobs as well. To many people, broken means replace. I despair. To me broken means fix if at all possible. Get the mindset right early on. Its very satisfying to solve problems. That sticking window, dripping tap. Get him to find out and think about how to do it, tell you his plan then go do it. Skills for life.

I use to work in a D&T dept. Money box either type where money drops in and a figure on the top moves or hollow shape with acyclic side. Book ends, bird boxes, bat boxes, window boxes. Later three out of 1 x 6 since leaving I've build hundreds of these with community groups. Not necessarily for him but presents for mum, sister, grandparents. For outside project 1x6 lasts years as long as it has a coat of fence paint.

All good ideas.

We're doing 1 hour DT every other day. I'd like to do more but there's so many other subjects to get on with.

We started with a simple helicopter where the rotor spins via two cogs. Should be ready later this week.

Just had email from my local builders merchants/timber yard, a small chain in East Anglia - shut for the duration. I'm sure most of us have enough 'stuff' to keep a child engaged but there is a new design criteria, making from what you have not what you might like to buy.

I like them.

I found them on some American website a few years back and actually use the same design as a potable table for my chop saw. I build two of those and they're in use everyday.

Richard_C":2dy9jg7d said:
I'm sure most of us have enough 'stuff' to keep a child engaged but there is a new design criteria, making from what you have not what you might like to buy.

'Stuff' is going to be made out of pine I guess. Got a few off cuts left from Christmas toy boxes.... :mrgreen:

Me and my girls are planning on making a pair of catapults and some 'mother in law' design target blocks!!

Jamied":6fuolx85 said:
Me and my girls are planning on making a pair of catapults and some 'mother in law' design target blocks!!

I have always wanted to make a bow - perhaps there will be time... it wouldn't be for me, obviously - it's a project for the kids!

Here's one of a million how-to videos:
[youtube]iVCMsbF_OD0[/youtube]

Back