what to make for A-level project?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike s

Established Member
Reaction score
i am starting my alevels and it is coming to the time to start thinking about what i am going to make for my resistant materials build
i am stuck for ideas on what to make! there is no specification that i know of so i want to get some ideas flowing
i got top marks for my gcse work (a 3 drawer bedside table) but as A-level is much more challenging i need to choose something a lot more complicated to gain full marks this year
i am pretty confident with most aspects of woodworking, especially turning, so am open to all ideas
i want to make something fairly small so i can focus on the details and not spend all of my time making 50 drawers gaining no extra marks
here is a picture of a recently finished inlayed box to give you an idea of what i am about
dadsbox.jpg

any ideas?
thanks

Great work. You should go far with our without the grades.

How big can this project be? What about a welsh dresser? They can have loads of details and turnings.

thanks
a welsh dresser sure would be great fun and guarantee good marks but would be pushing the size limit to the extreme
i was thinking of something the size of a side table or smaller
a small project is easy to transport, allows me to use good materials and is easier to complete well within the time limit

similar problem with a tool cabinet, it is a bit too big

thats a project for home :D :mrgreen:

How about a dart board cabinet? Dovetails, inlays, carving. Doors and hinges. It's all there.

Can be as fancy and complicated as you like. And it's useful and practical (especially if you like darts.... like me)

If I were anywhere near as good at woodwork as you I would have made one already.

Roy

What about a nice Bracket Clock or Regulator

Lots of intricate detail as well as turnery, but smallish in size - just a thought.

If you were to think about this I have made loads over the years and I'm sure I could dig out some old plans

Mike, I spent some time at Newark College and made this

miniature-queen-anne-chest-t61041.html

It is one of their third year pieces and has all the skills including a spot of turning for the base of the legs, if you fancy it PM me and I can give you one of the instructors phone number and he , i'm sure, would furnish you with some plans.

Andy

Hi
Excellent work Mike.
My advice would be to come up with a design that is original and modern, but using traditional techniques.
Trawl the websites of the best designer/furniture makers until you find something that takes your fancy.
Adapt / redesign it sufficiently so it becomes your design.
You may find various features that could be combined from differing pieces.
Good luck
John

What about a coffee table/chess board? I saw one of these at a local wood working show and have wanted to make one ever since!

Obviously the top would be the playing surface which could feature some inlay, you could also incorporate some storage drawers for the pieces and perhaps have them hidden within the rails?

Just an idea, but it is what I would do!

In my view, what you need to do is to look very closely at the requirements of your particular 'A' Level...all the suggestions here, without doubt made with the very best of intentions aren't going to help you all that much and may well confuse the issue. Google is your friend!! - Rob...ex CDT teacher

+1 for what Rob said - A-levels have very specific marking schemes so you need to choose something which will enable you to score max marks for each sub-requirement. Your teacher should know all this and will probably go through the marking scheme with you.
Best of luck - but judging by that box you won't need luck!

Unless things have changed a lot since my day, a large part of your marks will be to do with identifying a problem, which leads to a design brief, which is then succesfully addressed in your product. Making a beautifully crafted table/dresser/etc will not be particularly beneficial in this respect.

a large part of your marks will be to do with identifying a problem, which leads to a design brief, which is then succesfully addressed in your product. Making a beautifully crafted table/dresser/etc will not be particularly beneficial in this respect.

I know, I know, industry needs x, y, z, we have to prepare people for the real world and the workplace etc. Not saying it's wrong, but still it makes me sigh :(

No suggestions I'm afraid, but wanted to say best of luck, you seem a very talented and dedicated guy who deserves to do well.

Latest posts

Back