what to finish outside oak door with

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Advertising woffle is notoriously vague. Does anyone have LONG-TERM weathering experience of the Osmo 'uv' product? It's just that when it was introduced I researched it a bit and it seemed that its uv resistance was equivalent to a suncream of factor SP11 or something - not much! Can it be really suitable for exposed outdoor use? Traditionally uv resistance has been in the pigment of coloured finishes.

Unfortunately, Osmo, or any clear finish is not in the spec. (Might look at it for use on my own front door tho'!) Fingerposts, as you will all know, of the traditional variety, are black letters on a white background. It's the longevity of the white paint I'm concerned about (much as I might hate the idea of painting on new oak!) and Sadolin Superdec Woodshield was mentioned as being suitable. Having read some reports that are a bit negative, I'm after ideas/recommendations for what would stand the tests of time and weather.

With all the love for Osmo UV+, I'll just add a proviso from my own experience as we have it on all our doors and windows (european oak). You won't get any durability on horizontal surfaces such as sills. Hidden away on Osmo's website is the statement that it must be used on surfaces at 15 degrees from horizontal or more, and in my experience that is the case.

I'm currently sanding and recoating the sills every year, the vertical surfaces of the doors and windows every three years.

longinthetooth":wb2yy0nc said:
Is this thread about a door or your fingerpost?

Sorry longinthetooth, maybe I'm in the wrong place! I was concerned about a long-lasting finish on oak outdoors and found this thread. :|

Latest posts

Back