What to do with this 3x3 block?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
OK I dunno what to use this padauk for. Should I just slice it up and make box sides, with a frame around them so the grain continuation isn’t a problem?

All suggestions must be for a beginner and not involve curves.

image.jpg

Now i would not do this, but i see this kind of stuff about often -

A load of random holes drilled in the sides.

The centre bored out, leaving the top intact.

Some low wattage led thing shoved up the centre.

If you want to go further, and dim the light some, you could try and cut the middle hole square (ie with flat sides) and slide up some old printed circuit boards, so the light shines through them, and then out through the holes.

Again, its not what i would do. I kind of like that stuff, kind of hate it, but if you like it, it could look in keeping with similar.

3x3 is tiny, but i guess it could still work in the right context.

I would either turn something on the lathe (box, fruit, sphere), or make a carving.

You could turn it into a puzzle using a coping saw (scroll saw would be easier).

Use a Forstner bit to make it into a big dice.

I'm with you. Slice it up to make a nice wee box.

Paduk is one of my personal favorites when it comes to timber. Such a lovely deep reddy brown :cool: Polishes well.
Turning it you make what is an increasingly rare timber into wood shavings and I've felt as purveyors of this art, we should try at least to utilize as much of it as possible, especially given how long it has taken to grow.

3 random thoughts.

• Plane, sand, polish and set aside to use as a plinth for that small alabaster or marble sculpture you know you are going to carve ..... one day.

• Cut a 60 degree angle down from the top, not all the way through, and a much shorter 30 degree cut to meet it from the opposite face. Finish and polish, elegant bedside phone stand. If you keep a knife and small chisel by your bed, you can develop your relief carving skills on the faces when you can't sleep at night.

• Drill/cut a big hole from one face almost through, a concentric 10mm hole from the opposite face, quartz clock movement (inexpensive). Finish/decorate to taste.

Latest posts

Back